What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attachments in replay messages: how?

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
Lately I have faced what I hope is a problem of my scarce knowledge of my iPad. I replied to a mail message and I wanted to attach a photo but I could not find the button that usually allows this feature.
Am I wrong or this feature is somehow inhibited in the "replay" action?
If so, in you opinion, worths to mention this lack of feature to Apple or it is only a need that I feel but not shared by the rest of us?
Thank you for your help!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using the iPad's native Mail app, there is no way to add an attachment to a reply. But, as always, there are third-party apps out there that will allow you to do this. I use GoodReader - the Swiss Army Knife for the iPad and, even then, it's a bit of a workaround.

I'm sure Apple know about this; there are 'technical' reasons why they chose to omit it, but they could have made it easier for us, for sure!!

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The quickest way around this is to go to your Photos app and copy the picture you want to send.

Then, go back to the Mail app and start your reply. You can then paste that picture into your reply. Unfortunately, due to this limitation, you can only do this one picture at a time...

And yeah, as Tim says, Apple built the iPad to run this way - for their reasons. We can only figure out ways around their thinking.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My workaround for this is dropbox......I put the files, images, etc into drop box and generate links to them, I then send the links to the email recipient and they can then download the files themselves.

There is an added bonus to the recipient of doing it this way in that if they are out and about and on a poor bandwidth area they don't have the issue of hogging their connection (this once happened to me when someone sent me a whole album full of photos in an email!) as they can decide when and where to download the files.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey. I just have to derail this thread (just a bit) to say, "Neat idea, Gabriel1"! I never thought of doing that. And I'm one of those people who's gotten those e-mails that contain a lot of photos & take forever to download...

Nice tip, thanks.

Marilyn

OP
Mbagni

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all!

I do have Goodreader and I will use it wisely. Also the idea of using an external file sharing is interesting but requires advance planning which is not, sometimes, what you need when replying to a message.

Regarding the "mysterious" ways of the Apple's developers they still remain a mystery to me too. ;-)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Hey. I just have to derail this thread (just a bit) to say, "Neat idea, Gabriel1"! I never thought of doing that. And I'm one of those people who's gotten those e-mails that contain a lot of photos & take forever to download...

Nice tip, thanks.

Marilyn

I knew that I would have a good idea eventually!

Mbagni said:
Thank you all!

I do have Goodreader and I will use it wisely. Also the idea of using an external file sharing is interesting but requires advance planning which is not, sometimes, what you need when replying to a message.

Regarding the "mysterious" ways of the Apple's developers they still remain a mystery to me too. ;-)

Using dropbox requires no real forward planning, send the images to dropbox, no different than emailing then attach the links to your mail.......I actually think it is the quickest of all the methods........we could have a race!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts