What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

attached file not in paperclip icon but open in the mail

said76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have received an email with 4 file attachments on my iPad2. When I open the mail, I saw two attachments appear in paperclip icons while the other two attachments are widely open as part of the body of the message. I wonder why those attachments are being open in the first place. Is this to do with the file format or something?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pictures in common formats and single page PDFs are displayed inline with the email. This was typical of Apple's email client even before the iOS devices. It is a consummer oriented decision based on the idea that people would rather see this type of content immediately, rather than save and open it in another app.

You can still tap, or tap and hold on the attachment for options to save it, or open it in another app.

Most other file types will remain icons until you tap and choose what you want to do with them.

Attachments of any type that are over a certain size will not download from the server until you tap on them. They are displayed inside a dashed box. The box's boarder will turn solid when the attachment finishes downloading.

Last edited:
OP
S

said76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pictures in common formats and single page PDFs are displayed inline with the email. This was typical of Apple's email client even before the iOS devices. It is a consummer oriented decision based on the idea that people would rather see this type of content immediately, rather than save and open it in another app.

You can still tap, or tap and hold on the attachment for options to save it, or open it in another app.

Most other file types will remain icons until you tap and choose what you want to do with them.

Attachments of any type that are over a certain size will not download from the server until you tap on them. They are displayed inside a dashed box. The box's boarder will turn solid when the attachment finishes downloading.

Understood it. Thank you for your answer. very helpful.

Most reactions

Latest posts