Att air card and i-pad

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by jerliz, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jerliz

jerliz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an ATT air card (usb) that I have used in my Lap Top for several years now and have paid ATT more that I would like to admit for it's use. The thing is a ATT 3g usb Sierra Connect card 881 module that has the small sim chip in it. Would it work in the I-Pad? ...Ethically? Legally?

Jerry (the male component of jerliz)

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It ought to work... if you got a microsim. The minisims in most data sticks won't fit. You can trim them, but it's a finicky business and you can damage the SIM card. You'd have to configure your APN, etc. manually.

As to ethics... such data plans tend to cost more than the iPad-specific plans so I don't see an ethical issue with it, personally.

3. jerliz

jerliz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Real Noob in this area.
    Is it possible to convert an I-pad from the Wi-fi model to the 3g model simply adding the sim card I am presently using with my ATT Sierra card. Or do I need to buy a so called "3g" model up front. Then try to modify the card. And, I don't know whether I am up to that at this point either.

Thanks for your patience. I was too embarrassed to ask any of my students as they already think they know it all. The problem is they let you know it.

Jerry

4. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    If you have a WiFi-only iPad, there is a little problem... there is no place to put the SIM card! (Plus it doesn't have the 3g circuitry)

Nice try!