What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Att 3g to verizon 3g

WTW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad2 with the Att 3G option. Is it possible to change to Verizon? Or am I stuck with att?
Thanks Tomm

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no, you can't change carriers. The AT&T iPad uses a SIM card, the Verizon one doesn't. IOW, they have different hardware.

The only thing you can do is take the AT&T one back for a refund and then go buy the Verizon one. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
W

WTW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Unfortunately, no, you can't change carriers. The AT&T iPad uses a SIM card, the Verizon one doesn't. IOW, they have different hardware.

The only thing you can do is take the AT&T one back for a refund and then go buy the Verizon one. Sorry.

Marilyn

Thanks for the reply! May just return it and leave off the 3G not sure when I may need it when I couldn't
Find a wifi?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WTW said:
Thanks for the reply! May just return it and leave off the 3G not sure when I may need it when I couldn't
Find a wifi?

Why do you want to switch to Verizon ? What's wrong with AT&T? Their data plans are cheaper and if I know what I know now I would have gone with ATT for my iPad.

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Could be coverage in the OP's area....

Tim

Yeah, coverage sucks in my apt. Even with the network extender. Only works when you are right on top of it. Thank good ness for my wireless router. And I am not able to bundle discount data with my Verizon iPhone services with corporate discounts. I think at one time I was able to before the tiered data plans but I didn't have my iPad then.

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - leelai is right. Verizon only works in the US and a very very few other countries....some you wouldn't want to visit anyway....

Tim

OP
W

WTW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never had any luck with any of Att products and have heard poor quality reports on their cell calls.
I plan on buying a month of service as soon as plan a road trip to see how it performs in my favorite get aways. Thanks for the thoughts

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW I bought the 64GB 3G AT&T iPad thinking that 3G would be very useful as I travel quite a bit. After about a year and a half of constant use I have yet to activate the 3G service. So far I really haven't been anywhere where I couldn't find decent WiFi service.

When I purchase the iPad 3 I'm going to save $130 and get the WiFi version only. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never had any luck with any of Att products and have heard poor quality reports on their cell calls.
I plan on buying a month of service as soon as plan a road trip to see how it performs in my favorite get aways. Thanks for the thoughts

I've found that AT&T works much better on iPad than on cell phone. I've had AT&T phone plans for ages, and its iPad plan since the iPad 1 3G debut, and I've traveled extensively with iPhone and iPad all across the U.S. west to east, and east to west, as well as up and down both coasts, and many parts in between. The iPad coverage and connection, I have few complaints about. The phone reception sucks in some places, but works fine in others. Depends where you'd use it most.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts