What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Atmospheric pressure

davyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does any one know if i could use my iPad in a pressurised chamber. If so what pressure is safe?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An interesting question. You may have seen another post that reports that the US FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) has just certified the iPad for in-flight use for pilots. Part of their evaluation included an 'explosive' decompression at 50,000'. So, I know that doesn't help you too much - I guess you're interested in pressure above atmospheric rather than below! If the application is work related, then I'd suggest to my employer that they invest in a second-hand iPad and try it out! But please report the results here....

Recently I was involved in a project for the oil industry, where we wanted to put some electronics in a pressurised container in an oil pipeline. The problem was that the ICs (silicon chips) are encapsulated in a ceramic package and the 'lid' to this package is hermetically sealed, with the inside pressure being atmospheric. In this particular case we were talking extreme pressures - several thousand psi. My own 'gut feeling' would be that it would be the screen that would pose the biggest problem - I wonder whether the various 'layers' that make up the screen are hermetically sealed?

Tim
Scotland

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but according to the specs, you can use the iPad at altitudes up to 10,000' --

ipad72.jpg

I guess this means that you couldn't operate an iPad at places like Independence Pass, Colorado with an altitude of 12,000'

Most reactions

Latest posts