What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what point do you stop upgrading you software?

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was wonder when folks felt that the new operating systems would outpace the iPad 1's ability to run it. I haven't upgraded lately out of fear of my iPad bogging down. Anyone else feel this way?

Hal

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't install iOS 6 on iPad 1. You don't need to decide, because you don't have a choice in this case.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, from what I "hear" around the forum - iOS 5.1.1, which is as high as the iPad1 goes, is the best update of the bunch up to that point.

So, if you haven't updated your iPad1 to iOS 5.1.1 - I believe that you will have as best as it gets. Again, this is what I hear. Of course and as always - YMMV.

Marilyn

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I heard that the upgrade from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 will have issues. The main one being that the iPad will seem to run slower.
I haven't checked what the issues the upgrade will fix for the iPad 1 in quite a while. There wasn't much, or anything, from what I remember.
I stayed at 5.0.1 because of the possible issues. Mine is also jailbroken and there is an issue when doing the wireless short upgrade. I didn't want to do the BIG download and have to re-jailbreak.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really is hard to know.

My iPad 2 ran much better on the OS it came with day of release than the "update" apple farmed out a few months later. I have a 3 now and really contemplated about wether I should update to OS6 but I did and was glad I did so. But I don't know about future updates. I mean, I guess you should try to run the most current OS for your system you can but I think once new hardware is out(like when the ipad4 gets released), then the software OS will be written mainly to exploit that device best and make the older ones "fake it" to seem nearly as good but it just usually makes them slow & buggy. So I guess my answer is: When a new device comes out.

Like our desktop has windows XP, I guess I don't expect a new OS to make it better than it runs now. Times change but if your device doesn't physically change, why should the brain? It still is old. It will run old, even if you put a new dress on it and give it a Red Bull. Accept that it is good at what it was meant to do at the time.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hal05154 said:
I am at 5.1.1. I wonder what it would take to downgrade? Jailbreak at least. Anyone know?

You would have had to have ran a program to save some information about your iPad when the old version of iOS was still available. They are SHSH Blobs.
I have the blobs saved for my phone already and am thinking of going for iOS 6. Kinda scared though, but at least I'd be able to go backwards.

MiPad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fid said:
You would have had to have ran a program to save some information about your iPad when the old version of iOS was still available. They are SHSH Blobs.
I have the blobs saved for my phone already and am thinking of going for iOS 6. Kinda scared though, but at least I'd be able to go backwards.

What are SHSH Blobs and how would I save them for my iPhone 4s or my iPad 1?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fid said:

There will be no iOS 6 update for iPad 1. iOS 5.1.1 is the latest iOS that the iPad 1 will see.

stradfordd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
And, from what I "hear" around the forum - iOS 5.1.1, which is as high as the iPad1 goes, is the best update of the bunch up to that point.

So, if you haven't updated your iPad1 to iOS 5.1.1 - I believe that you will have as best as it gets. Again, this is what I hear. Of course and as always - YMMV.

Marilyn

Any tips to updating the os

CaseyMoss123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i feel there is something new in the market which would cost me much less than what the current gadget is costing and is very equivalent in quality and reliability,But sadly no one is as close as I pad is concerned and It would never happen in future too..

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i feel there is something new in the market which would cost me much less than what the current gadget is costing and is very equivalent in quality and reliability,But sadly no one is as close as I pad is concerned and It would never happen in future too..

Welcome to the forum.

I think you've misunderstood the question posed by OP. The question is related to the upgrading of firmware on iPads -- like when do you choose to take upgrades that are offered or decline them.

This thread also is from several months ago, and OP hasn't returned, so probably has moved on. The thread was reactivated by a new member who would probably get better results by posting a fresh thread, with a more specific question.

Most reactions

Latest posts