AT&T sucks & lies

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CMFox, Jun 27, 2010.

1. CMFox

CMFox
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Seadog:

I don't expect the lickety split downloads I get sitting next to a wi fi. But from looking at the AT&T map, watching the commercials where the guy is flipping postcards all over the AT&T map to show it's exceptional 3 G coverage I do expect on a major interstate in FLAT country to do better then I am. If iPad & AT&T expected users to only be in major metro areas why all the maps etc?

Once in the mountains, on lonely side roads I won't have such expectations. So I personally don't think AT&T has told us the truth about their 3Gcoverage. It appears to be all smoke and mirrors.
    CM

Matthew I can't find your zoom AT&T map but I did find this one: Cellular Maps.com-3G Coverage Comparison:AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular & Verizon

It certainly tells an ugly story. Once again WHY? would Apple make an exclusive agreement with AT&T?

I'll, check the coverage here if I can get it to download. Is there a good URL for this?

#11 CMFox, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Coverage in most of the plains states, especially north of Kansas, is pathetic from any carrier. The lower the population density, the less chance of coverage. The pity is those are the ones that need coverage most due to the lack of land lines to landowners.

My only point is do not take anyone's coverage maps for fact. They will all lie to you, just on different details. Independent testing has shown AT&T has the best 3G service, but Verizon has a larger coverage area. And both are using the same backbone system which is in great need of an overhaul. From what I have read, AT&T is investing in upgrading their backbone structure more than their 3G. Verizon is putting their money in towers. The AT&T strategy suggest they might be getting their system ready to handle 4G. Verizon may suffer if their 4G system does not have the infrastructure to handle the traffic.

3. josun

josun
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Try more recent data.

The Fastest Mobile Networks 2010

4. CMFox

CMFox
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Whether or not it is fast or slow makes no difference if there is NO coverage. AT&T doesn't cover the area in 3G they say they do. 3G has two parts to it, coverage then speed. AT&T is missing that important first step. If one can't load speed makes no difference.

CM

5. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Exactly.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
  7. rickm1350

rickm1350
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Angular relationship changing and making reception difficult? I've never heard of that one before, and I've worked in radio for over 25 years.

I chose not to get the iPad 3G, and got the WiFi version instead.

I purchased the Spring 4G Overdrive box instead. Yes, I know it's more expensive, but it works at 4G speeds here in Central CA.

On Memorial Day weekend, my son, grandson, and I went to Fresno. My son was using the Overdrive with his laptop all the way to Fresno. When we left Fresno, my son was on his laptop, and my grandson had my Netbook, both connected to the internet via Sprint's 4G Overdrive. I know my son was only surfing the internet, but my grandson was streaming a cartoon video. They both used it all the way home, a distance of about 60 miles... it never missed a beat, and the video never stopped.

I also hear people in the San Joaquin Valley of CA complain about AT&T, and especially those that live in the San Francisco area.

I believe that AT&T has oversold it's network and needs to invest in it's infrastructure.

8. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Nope, shouldn't be the case at all. Your movement in a car is not fast enough or far enough...you aren't running away from a walkie talkie signal, you're running away from cell towers.

I use my Verizon phone for turn by turn navigation all the time, it works flawlessly.

The reason driving with AT&T gives you spotty coverage with 3G is because AT&T has so many gaps in coverage, not because you are driving. So you are constantly driving between good and bad spots.

AT&T has poor 3G coverage when you compare the entire nation, especially outside of major cities. That's just a fact.

[​IMG]

9. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes I only get 200K to 300K sending and receiving, but lately I have been getting up to 3000K receiving. And mind you this is all from the same location.

Don't forget AT&T has made good on all of its' 1993 promises.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfIFDX9kE4"]YouTube - AT&T "You Will"[/ame]

10. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I guess it's time to sell your ipad.