AT&T or VERIZON 4G??

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by frankieo11, Mar 16, 2012.

1. frankieo11

frankieo11
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    DOes it matter which you get or is it just preference? Does one model have benefits over the other?

2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Verizon currently has far more LTE coverage and is offering free hotspot feature with any data plan.

AT&T when out of LTE coverage will fall back to a faster 3G network then Verizon's 3G network. AT&T has yet to announce any word on allowing hotspot feature.

3. RMSko

RMSko
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It really depends on where you live. AT&T has a bigger "3.5G" network (faster than regular 3G, but not quite full 4G, but AT&T calls it 4G), but Verizon's LTE network is apparently much bigger than AT&T's LTE network (LTE is the full 4G that you really want). I have AT&T, but that is really b/c I have a legacy unlimited data plan. I also commute from NYC to NJ and AT&T has LTE for about 3/4 of my commute. The LTE of AT&T is really fast. I assume Verizon's LTE network is also fast. I think the AT&T LTE may be a bit faster than Verizon, but I'm not sure how material the difference is (you can find that info on the internet).

4. geobernd

geobernd
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I went with AT&T for two reasons:
    The 3.5G network covers the area I usually spend my weekends where Verizon LTE is not yet to be found.
    My Droid 3 (I know - I am an Android/iOS mix) is on Verizon - so having the iPad on AT&T gives me a slightly higher chance of getting data in remote areas...

5. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    For those who are not legacy users, the lowest users and the extreme users are going to prefer Verizon pricewise. The bulk of users will prefer the 3 Gb from AT&T as a better buy than Verizon who allows only 2 Gb for the same $30/mo. Coverage is anyone's guess, because it is constantly changing. Verizon has a head start, but AT&T seems to be rolling out LTE faster and may catch up. Where 4G LTE is not available, AT&T has faster 3G and 3G based HSPA+. Look at the coverage for both in your area of use, what they have announced as coming, and the reputation of each in your area.

In my area, I am using AT&T for my iPad and the 4G service is fabulous from the short time I have used it. I also really enjoyed the 3G service on my old iPad. Two years ago, it was new to the area, and within a year, it was everwhere I travel, which is a lot. But, I also use Verizon on my cell phone and and I have no issues or complaints with their service. It is not a smart phone, so I cannot compare data coverage. However, I travel frequently into Colorado. There are large areas with one or the other coverage but not both. I often wind up swapping between my iPad and cell phone when traveling there. Makes carrier choice a local issue more than anything else.

6. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know of maybe a site that gives one an idea of how much data for each GB?? I'm going with the very cheapest of 1 GB on Verizon since we have so much wifi everywhere here. I'm sure I'll increase some months quite a bit when we travel.

Also, I thought I understood that there would be an alert when you get close to your data max. Did I dream it LOL or is it indeed a fact?

7. kennyob46

kennyob46
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hspa+

I live on long island and have the at&t unlimited plan(which is the only reason I stayed with them).There is no 4g lte here yet,but we have the hspa+.So far,I'm not too impressed compared to the 3G service I had before.Web pages
    Seem to load not much faster.

8. Jazzephaye

Jazzephaye
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I heard that Verizon was faster, but I'm with AT&T.

9. Nightstar

Nightstar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Went with Verizon. For the following reasons.

1) The Unlimited AT&T I had was getting chewed up by them to the point of not that unlimited any more.
    2) Verizon has the hotspot.
    3) My normal usage is around 1/2GB per month and I am out and about all day long.
    4) The area I am in is more solid Verizon than AT&T.
    5) At 1GB per 30 days at 20. I actually save money over the 30 for the same time.

One surprise I had was LTE in the house!

10. cinequip

cinequip
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Also went with Verizon, for these additional reasons:

1) iphone is on AT&T, so now I have ability to use best carrier for area I may be in at the time.
    2) Had a Verizon MiFi hotspot that had terrible battery life, and couldn't be used while charging - ipad hotspot replaces that.
    3) Was paying $45/mo to AT&T for DataPro 4G hotspot service, now will drop to $30 plan.
    4) Was paying $50/mo for Verizon MiFi for 5GB, now paying $30 for iPad 2GB plan.
    5) Both data plans now cost $60/mo, before was $95 per month.
    6) AT&T "4G" isn't really 4G. ios 5.1 just changed the symbol from 3G to 4G - no change in speed. Verizon LTE is often 20GB up and down.