AT&T Adjusts Data-Throttling Policy in Response to Customer Complaints

Discussion in 'User News Submissions' started by Kaykaykay, Mar 1, 2012.

1. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well said. It's a fair bet AT&T took a lot of highly paid legal advice to see if they could legally wriggle out of these contracts, and we're told the throttling was the best they could hope for.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

2. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    By the way the only reason that AT&T is changing their throttling is that they were throttling it back sooner than they were throttling back customers who paid for the three gig plan for the same $30 a month. Their logic is you get 3 gigs for $30 on both but on the unlimited you keep going but don't get an extra charge, however we throttle you back.

This is more in response to the lawsuit the guy won down in California for $850. They were throttling him back at about 1 1/2 to 2 gigs for a $30 a month unlimited plan, and yet you can go buy $30 a month 3 GB plan. And as AT&T put it, only the top 5% of unlimited people went over 3 gigs, so they were ripping them off.

3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I'd take them to small claims court to help make the point further, but it would cost me more being away from work than I would come out ahead. I'd like to see more people taking them to court.

4. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I got the warning that they were throttling back after 3GB last week.

The ironic thing is that they have me throttled to just under 1 MB/s all the time and yet if I tether my iPad to it, at the same time, I can get close to 3 MB/s on the iPad, go figure. I guess they haven't figured that one out yet.