What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

at launch will the price of ipad 3, be the same as the currant ipad 2 price?

jaymes420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey all, just a quick question., ive been saving up to buy an ipad and now that i have the money i dont know weather to buy the ipad 2, or wait until the ipad 3, my real question is, on launch, will the price of the ipad 3 be the same as the currant price of the ipad 2? i know when steve jobbs unveiled the second generation, he stated that it would launch at the same price as the first generation, and the first gen would be cheaper to clear stocks, im hoping they do the same this time around for the third generation. but keeping in mind the possible upgrades the ipad 3 will have leaves me wondering about prices. i think ill wait it out because ill kick myself if i buy an ipad 2 now for the same price i would have paid for an ipad 3 in a couple of weeks time, anyway anybody with any rumors or opinions id greatly appreciate your input on this!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one but Apple knows, but there are iPad 2s on sale at various retailers and e-tailers now, so it's more likely that the new iPad will cost more.

When iPad 2 came out, even Apple discounted iPad 1.

I saved $200 on an iPad 1 for my husband when iPad 2 came out by buying his on clearance from Verizon.

OP
J

jaymes420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah i know what you mean, best case scenario, ill get the ipad 3 for the same price as the currant ipad, worst case scenario, ill get the ipad 2 100 bucks cheaper than if i were to buy it now :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on budget and iPad uses, but I'd suggest going for the new one if possible. iOS 5 has led to RAM crashes for a good number of users. As firmware further upgrades, that seems more likely. Hope the new one comes with more RAM.

You'll also probably get longer firmware upgrades and better resale value with the later model.

For $100 in savings, I don't find the tradeoffs worthwhile, but YMMV.

I bought iPad 1 for my husband and it still works well for him, but he barely uses it. He leaves it in the kitchen and uses it to stream audio while cooking, so RAM crashes aren't a prob for him.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3 is going to be the same price as the iPad 2 (£399) for basic 16gb wifi version. It will be silly of them to up the price.. There are talks of a cheaper smaller version of ipad 3/2S to compete with other manufacturers.

But i'd suggest you wait for iPad 3 announcment see if the features interest you compared to the iPad 2 and if not go with the iPad 2 which will be on sale at that time.

My iPad 1 is on eBay though ;) any upgrade will be a must for me

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No one knows, apple had yet to even announce that there will be an iPad 3 let alone prices.

However if you look at the way apple has done things in the past, they try to release new updated models every year at around the same time and also keep the price at about the same price point (while discounting the older models)

They try to keep the same price points and usually do, but not always. There have been slight changes both up and down in a few products. Mac mini slightly increased while the new iPod Nano's price decreased.

They have certain price points that they try to stay at, and then try to build the best device they can for that give price range. Each year as the electronics, parts and manufacturing becomes cheaper they are able to make really nice improvements for the same amount of money the older model used to cost them. With the iPhone and iPad becoming so popular they are able to order HUGE amounts of parts at lower prices because they order so many up front at one time.

(LOL sort of like how Walmart get such low prices simply because they order such large quantities.)

Last edited:

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
just waite and get the ipad 3 even if its a little more money, it could be 399 for the 16 gig verison

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No one but Apple knows, but there are iPad 2s on sale at various retailers and e-tailers now, so it's more likely that the new iPad will cost more.

When iPad 2 came out, even Apple discounted iPad 1.

I saved $200 on an iPad 1 for my husband when iPad 2 came out by buying his on clearance from Verizon.

Hey Kaykaykay...does that happen often?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Hey Kaykaykay...does that happen often?
happened with iPad first generation.
happened with iPhone 3G
happened with iPhone 3G S
happened with iPhone 4

apple knows that there are people looking for the lower price points.
when they roll out their new models, they drop the price of the model its replacing.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
happened with iPad first generation.
happened with iPhone 3G
happened with iPhone 3G S
happened with iPhone 4

Apple knows that there are people looking for the lower price points.
when they roll out their new models, they drop the price of the model its replacing.

Hmmm....may have to check my verizon store as well for an ipad 2. Thanks, Mike. :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is Apple's practice to establish a price schedule and keep it in all subsequent model. There are circumstances where this changes, but more often the price goes lower. The standard rumor that is consistent is that the iPad 2 will be kept as a low end entry model, probably at $399, maybe lower. It makes more sense than an 8" model.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm....may have to check my verizon store as well for an ipad 2. Thanks, Mike. :)

Depending on how good the discount, you have to move quickly when they're discounting leftover stock. Often, tech blogs and shopper blogs will publicize discounts and the leftovers move quickly. I also think some people buy and resell at a markup, for example, so you're not just competing against regular shoppers. Depends on location, too.

OP
J

jaymes420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im pretty confident the iPad 3 wont start at launch with a more expensive model, first of all, they would have to make all 3 sizes more expensive, and it doesn't really seem logical. i think if every online rumor about the ipad 3 is 100% real, and they unveil some awesome machine that surpasses everybody's expectation, then yeah maybe it'll be more expensive, but that's highly unlikely to happen. the other thing that makes me think we'll see the same price plan for iPad 3, is if you take a look at the video of steve jobbs unveiling the iPad 2, when he's talking about the price, he seems very excited to let people know that it will be launching at the same price plan as the ipad 2, then states the first generation ipad will be discounted. but i really felt that it was included in apples ethic not to start off new models 200-250 dollars more expensive than the previous model. and i think that's great, and a smart way to inshore sales.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how good the discount, you have to move quickly when they're discounting leftover stock. Often, tech blogs and shopper blogs will publicize discounts and the leftovers move quickly. I also think some people buy and resell at a markup, for example, so you're not just competing against regular shoppers. Depends on location, too.

Thanks, KayKayKay for the heads up! Always good to know this.

Most reactions

Latest posts