What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Astronomy App

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could someone please ID the Astronomy/Constellation App that is shown in the iPad commercials?

There are actually TWO in the App store under TV apps. Ha! I think it is Starwalk for the iPad, but I thought I'd ask the helpful folks here first!

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is StarWalk

We had a little clear night last night and I was able to use the app. This makes the iPad a really amazing compass.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Pointing to another post on Astro apps isnt going to help answer the question of "what app was on the tv commercial"

If you go on the iPad and bring up the iPad App Store and go to the Featured Page then scroll down to the bottom there will be a button for "Apps from iPad TV Ads". Search there. It appears that Solar Walk and Star Walk were both featured on TV Ads.

OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, lemme try again... :D

In one of the iPad TV ads they show a person holding the iPad up to the night sky, and the iPad is showing the constellations that are in that area of the sky.

The other TV ad app is just showing planets in the solar system.

WHICH app is the first one, the one that is shown being held up to the night sky????

THANKS!!! :D

Hal

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
If you go on the iPad and bring up the iPad App Store and go to the Featured Page then scroll down to the bottom there will be a button for "Apps from iPad TV Ads". Search there. It appears that Solar Walk and Star Walk were both featured on TV Ads.

I don't have either - don't know which does what, but I am not going to read and regurgitate the same thing you can read on your own.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Star walk display moves as you move the iPad around so you can scan the sky above you with the constellations clearly displayed. You can also pinch and expand to adjust the detail. Awesome app for the money.

lol Just held it up to Centaurus and a tiny santa and sleigh has gone past......

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best one by far is Luminos without question but I believe the one in the commercial is Starwalk (its kind of cute for little kids but thats about it)

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just curious what you think makes Luminous better that Starwalk? I haven't found much info about Luminous yet... and no direct comparisons either.

Rakuen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love Starwalk, it's such a fun and informative app. One of the first I bought.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't find any comparisons of Luminos and Starwalk. The descriptions on the iTunes store don't provide sufficient info to make an informed choice between the two... or any other astronomy app, for that matter. Here is a nice comparison, but it was done about 2 years ago and hasn't been updated in a year or so.

Last edited:

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey sorry took me a bit to reply, headaches have been driving me insane.

I now own 3 astronomy apps, StarWalk, Luminos, and Distant Suns. The only one I use anymore is Luminos for several reasons..

So far its the only one that uses high def graphics and textures, the only one that lets me zoom REAL close to objects (in starwalk I can only zoom to a moon or planet to about the size of my thumbnail). Luminos also provides alot more technical data, articles and links...also provides full credit to all agencies, individuals and organizations involved with any texture they use and I respect that alot. It just has much higher production standards and isn't gimmicky.

Oh and yes, in Luminos you can just hold it up to the sky and it goes into the auto mode which lets you just turn about and it will show you your actual sky. Another big difference with Luminos is it uses actual 3D terrain for wherever you are, so if there is a mountain blocking your view of something you will actually see that there is a mountain blocking your view which is awfully nice to have.

Most reactions

Latest posts