What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around Me app

mjh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in London and have just received an iPad (WiFi only) as a birthday present.

I find 'Around Me' very useful on my iPhone, but get "no results" in all categories on the iPad. It does have my current location correctly.

The app store says that 'Around Me' works on both iPhone and iPad. Does the iPad need 3G for it to work? If not, any suggestions on how to fix it would be appreciated.

Regards

MJH

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app requires GPS to work properly and the WiFi iPad doesn't have GPS capability. Yes - it also requires Internet access - but that could be either WiFi or 3G. The WiFi iPad can approximately locate its position by using a database of WiFi hotspots. So, if it can 'see' a WiFi hotspot that's in Apple's database, then it can locate itself - though not as well as with GPS. GPS is built in to the same chip set that the 3G functionality is on, so that's why the WiFi iPad doesn't have GPS.

Tim

Most reactions