What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you a Tolkien Fan?

richardblum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
richard-blum.com
iBooks is a great way to read the Tolkien books — especially if you like to do a little research into the past ages of Middle-earth or want to know more about a character or place.

Using iOS 4.3 and "fast app switching" you can be reading a Tolkien book and follow a specific journey by using the Middle-earth Map apps or find detailed descriptions/history using Encarda HD app (The Encyclopedia of Arda) or use other Mobile Safari for other reference sites (there are quite a few). Use a four finger left/right swipe to switch between open apps.

You can also listen to various Podcasts by The Tolkien Professor for "college level" courses on Tolkien.

OP
richardblum

richardblum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
richard-blum.com
I didn't know... have to investigate...

Thanks for the feedback!

I thought you could just turn on the swipe through "Settings" on the standard iOS 4.3... I have a friend who just bought a "1"... have to ask about that...

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am but only The hobbit at age 10, I found the trilogy a little hard to understand at that age. I loved the films but I haven't got around to reading the books yet.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Coo, haven't read those books in years! Have to say that they are the best books I have ever read, and can imagine that the iBook versions are much much better, time to spend more money :( :D

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over the years, I have accumulated about forty books by and about JRR Tolkien and Middle-Earth, including six versions of The Hobbit - but the most valuable (or should I say, priceless) item in my collection is a bookmark, handcrafted and ink-drawn by Professor Tolkien himself.

(One of my lecturers at postgraduate school was the daughter of Tolkien's secretary at Merton College back in the 60s, and he would create little hand-drawn cards and bookmarks as gifts, and she very kindly gave me one from her collection.)

jmaan001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I guess you might say that I am sort of a fan. I read the Silmarillion, the Hobbit a few times and the trilogy (both in Dutch and English) a gazillion times...:D Oh, and let's not forget the first animated picture of the first book of the trilogy I saw in the movie theatre somewhere around 1982 or so? And of course the movies by Peter Jackson (both in the movie theaters around X-mas (when they were issued here in the Netherlands, three years in a row) and on DVD)....

Thanks for the suggestion regarding reading Tolkien on the iPad. I will certainly take this up!

Regards,

Jeroen

jmaan001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aaah, sort of almost making me jealous :) I would just love to have something like this. Then again, it always makes me wonder why I would want this. I guess because in a way it makes you feel more personally connected with the person you admire. Still, food for thought :_)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Over the years, I have accumulated about forty books by and about JRR Tolkien and Middle-Earth, including six versions of The Hobbit - but the most valuable (or should I say, priceless) item in my collection is a bookmark, handcrafted and ink-drawn by Professor Tolkien himself.

(One of my lecturers at postgraduate school was the daughter of Tolkien's secretary at Merton College back in the 60s, and he would create little hand-drawn cards and bookmarks as gifts, and she very kindly gave me one from her collection.)

Me?............Jealous?.........really?...........me?...............YES!

Seriously, I collect rare and signed books........that copy would be one of my ultimate wants.

Please, don't ever let me know where you live!

The Archangel

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Eat your heart out Gabe, I held the original manuscript in my hands....typewritten and tied with brown string and sealing wax.

The Beatles wanted to make a film of it, animated like Yellow Submarine. TG they didn't....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Eat your heart out Gabe, I held the original manuscript in my hands....typewritten and tied with brown string and sealing wax.

The Beatles wanted to make a film of it, animated like Yellow Submarine. TG they didn't....

Oh! I have to go and lay down!

The Archangel

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh Takes me back too many years.
Used to go to the Bird & Baby in St. Giles where the Inklings met....

Most reactions