What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are We Suffering From Mobile App Burnout?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am. I have so many apps it's stupid. As the guy in the article mentions, most of them I don't use. Many I use occasionally and thus I like having them at hand. Some, I plan to use by have not gotten around to it. Any that require that i setup a new username/password to use make me ill. I'm so tried of that. At least on iOS games and such can tie into your game center...nothing like that on Android, so it is more of a pain for apps on that platform. Lots of apps want to let you in via your FB creds, but I'm loath to do that. Same with Twitter. Argh.

But yeah, I'm way over the line on app burn out. And, recently, I've started to encounter crappy apps on iOS! At first most were great, but there are some real dogs in there too.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'm reluctant to give app developers what I consider unnecessary info. I routinely refuse location services or push, unless I see good reason, and I've not allowed any developers Facebook or Twitter account linkage.

Sometimes I read about a cool app and load it, if only to try it, and then don't, just because I don't want the bother of creating an account just to test drive. I think app developers should try to accommodate for that, or continue to lose potential business.

I keep many apps handy for use or possible use, not expecting to use them frequently. I just don't want to go hunting for them should need arise. I try to weed out apps that don't meet that criteria. I have about 125 total, mostly utility, news, book and travel apps.

I've not run into dogs, but all my apps have come from recommendations -- via people I know or tech blogs.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm reluntant to mention where I got the dogs....but I didn't have to look far.... :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I keep telling myself that I should delete AppsGonefree. It's the iOS equivalent of a dope pusher. :)

I did delete a couple dozen apps I hadn't used in a month or more. I still have more than I need. But until I run out of space, it's tough to get motivated.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lucky for me, I've avoided app fever and seem to be pretty good about managing my app space and usage. This is part of the reason why I never get people need so much storage on their iPad! I have trouble using 32 GB! I think a lot of apps just sound cool or you think they are gonna solve a problem. Sometimes, they solve a problem that didn't actually exist or just don't do what you think they will. App removal is your friend too. You can always redownload them if you find you miss them. I've rarely had that happen though. If the app is good it stays, if it sucks then its bye bye.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is true, fewer can mean less.....
I find the more Apps we install the greater the effort is required in updating or adding new data ~ which in turn is counterproductive.
I try to find Apps that will achieve a multitude of tasks within the Apps boundary.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lucky for me, I've avoided app fever and seem to be pretty good about managing my app space and usage. This is part of the reason why I never get people need so much storage on their iPad! I have trouble using 32 GB! I think a lot of apps just sound cool or you think they are gonna solve a problem. Sometimes, they solve a problem that didn't actually exist or just don't do what you think they will. App removal is your friend too. You can always redownload them if you find you miss them. I've rarely had that happen though. If the app is good it stays, if it sucks then its bye bye.

Most apps are tiny....it's games that take up the real space....at least on my iPads....

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most apps are tiny....it's games that take up the real space....at least on my iPads....

Mine, too. I have a lot of music, audiobooks, videos and photos. Most of my apps are small potatoes by comparison, especially because I don't play games.

As for managing space or not, I see no need to manage unless I can't afford more space.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine, too. I have a lot of music, audiobooks, videos and photos. Most of my apps are small potatoes by comparison, especially because I don't play games.

As for managing space or not, I see no need to manage unless I can't afford more space.

I'm a digital hoarder! I have lots and lots of storage...and most of it is NOT on my mobile devices. I have a PC setting over here with 40 TB of storage and other 9 TB setting on the self! :)

Maybe I need help, but I'm not changing.

I'm not much of a gamer, but every so often and I these "moments" when I play...and having them on my iPad then is nice (that why I spent the money on the 64GB version -- I'd be foolish not to use it). And I have taken some off....if I have come to determine that I don't like them or am just not good at them.

I have been playing Asphalt 7 on my mini recently (as in the last couple of days)...that is one rocking game and runs well on the mini.

I have a 16GB digital Archive that I want to put on my devices that have a retina-level display. This is work/professional related. This would be the largest app would I have (and I hope to offer this for other society members on iOS and Android), *if* I can talk the powers that be into approving development. Fortunately, with the arrival of the 128GB retina iPad and other high-rez devices, I think I have a good chance. I have this on my PCs and laptop where it runs fine...and I put in on my Air Stash, but no mobile browser can run it properly...since these browsers are apparently not the equivalent of PC/MAC browsers, which is a shame.

But my point is that storage needs are real and not only dictated by hoarders like me. And app bloat is real too, but there are some very worthwhile apps to have....I currently have 279 apps on my mini...After photos (3.4GB), GoodReader is the #2 space hog...so at least that is work related! :) # 3 is Avengers (taking up 2GB), which might get zapped cause I'm liking other stuff more. I would never be able to survive on 16GB.

To me...every time I had an app to be device, that makes my iPad experience just a little more different than what the next person has. I see this as a form of customization. When I think of the screen number of things I can bring to the screen, it in a way, makes the device offer more power in that I can do a lot more things....app bloat has pros and cons....

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me...every time I had an app to be device, that makes my iPad experience just a little more different than what the next person has. I see this as a form of customization. When I think of the screen number of things I can bring to the screen, it in a way, makes the device offer more power in that I can do a lot more things....app bloat has pros and cons....

I'm with you. The more stuff a mobile device can do for me, the more flexibility it offers, the better.

We all use our devices differently, and there's no need to justify to others unless they're footing the bills. Like I said on another thread, if I wanted to buy a 128GB iPad and fill it with nothing but cat photos downloaded off the Internet, I would as long as it made me happy, lol.

Personally, I'm obsessed with having as much content available on the go as possible, for travel and time at my vacation home. I don't keep an Internet connection there, because I'm not there enough. So what I bring with me and what I can access via my data plans are it. My parents aren't online, either. So when I visit them, it's like digital camping, lol.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just filled out some documents with a couple of apps I use only for that purpose. How often used: infrequently. How convenient is it to have them readily accessible: very.

If I'd had to go hunting for those apps again, I might've just booted up my laptop. Instead, I stayed reclined in my chair and popped out those docs on my iPad, then emailed them. Love it.

When I opened the docs as email attachments, I got several options on how to open them, because I have a bunch of utility apps. I took a quick look at three or four, to see what would work best. What a hassle if I'd have had to redownload various apps just to check whether they might be useful. Ah, convenience, priceless.

A few weeks ago, I came across a document I wanted to convert and there were a few hiccups. Luckily, I sometimes download utility apps just because I think they might be useful later. That day, I used two or three apps, and voila, converted. Again, if I had had to hunt around and redownload apps, I might as well have booted up my laptop. But thanks, no. It's great to have apps within a tap or two.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My problem was downloading so many "might be useful someday" utilities that I couldn't remember what each one did. I decided I didn't really need 6 note taking apps and 4 PDF readers...and that I must resist adding even more to the collection!

As for getting out of the recliner to do work on the iMac...I just downloaded Splashtop 2, and can now run the iMac from my iPad. Laziness is preserved through technology. :)

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem was downloading so many "might be useful someday" utilities that I couldn't remember what each one did. I decided I didn't really need 6 note taking apps and 4 PDF readers...and that I must resist adding even more to the collection!

As for getting out of the recliner to do work on the iMac...I just downloaded Splashtop 2, and can now run the iMac from my iPad. Laziness is preserved through technology. :)

Thumbs-up for preserving laziness through tech.

As for not knowing what apps do, I know what you mean. I group mine together by utility so I have a better shot at remembering. Maybe it would be useful if Apple added a feature that allowed you to make a short note about an app, so you could hover over it for a reminder on what it did well or whatever? (That kind of feature might have other uses, like gamers might note game cheats, etc.?)

Even though some apps are meant for overlapping functions, I've found that it's useful to have a few, because one often works better than another, depending on the specific task. I do find replacement apps, though, and I delete if I come across something better.

Recently, I resurrected a browser that lets me view two websites side by side. I had replaced one such app for another, because I thought I wouldn't need two side-by-side browsers. But I started reading Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida on one side, and kept a character list open on the other, because I needed help tracking of who was who. I was in the middle of reading, and I didn't want to lose my place so I could use the side-by-side viewer for another purpose, so one of my deleted apps got a reprieve. I restored it so I could do the other thing I wanted. So now I've decided to keep both side-by-side browser apps on my iPad 4.

Sometimes, I find uses for apps I didn't anticipate, and I end up happy that I kept them on my screen. I have a bunch of travel apps, for instance, that find services, etc., describe city features, etc. I've found that having several of them is useful, because I want to find stuff on the fly, and they often have strengths and weaknesses, or gaps. Like one app will have good info about one airport or city, but lack equivalent info for another airport or city. I was about to delete one such travel app for another in one case and noticed that the older app features airport ATM locations, which the other app didn't. So I keep both apps for now, because when you need something during a layover, you often need it quickly. Meanwhile, I also emailed the developers of the other app, in hopes that they'll add ATM locations, too.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think too that when someone first gets an iPad that they are likely to go crazy downloading everything and anything that sounds even remotely interesting or useful. Of course, in due time you realize that you spend your time using probably just a handful of apps regularly and many end up jus being for the novelty. Or, something gets a high rating and you wonder what you're missing so you go and get it as to not be left out. :)

Plenty of apps get downloaded that are looking for a problem to solve that doesnt exist. I've done it too.

Most reactions

Latest posts