What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Throw Away Tablets Coming?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With numerous 7" tablets now under $200, I found the Maylong M250 on special at Retrevo for $100, I think that Tablets could soon bcomee disposable items.

No doubt the cheaper devices are not up to iPad standards but they do provide email, web browsing, contacts, calendar etc. Most are Android based so all vital information can be safely stored in a Google account.

With the more expensive tablets (iPad and big name Android), a moment's carelessness (dropping the device) can cost you $600 and more. With the cheaper devices you could just shrug it off and buy another one.

The smaller size also appeals to me.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Electronics in general are becoming more and throw away all the time. The cheap knock-off tablets could be regarded as throw away, meaning you'd never have them fixed if something went wrong since a new one would be cheaper than fixing the busted one!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In reality, even high end tablets are throw away, in as much as, faced with an expensive repair bill, I suspect the many people just buy a newer model. The cheaper tablets just change the equation more firmly to throwing a damaged device away.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC said:
In reality, even high end tablets are throw away, in as much as, faced with an expensive repair bill, I suspect the many people just buy a newer model. The cheaper tablets just change the equation more firmly to throwing a damaged device away.

Depends on one's budget / bank account and financial priorities - the iPad 2 can also be a throw away device.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well the i can use my I pad for many of the stuff I earlier used my laptop for...now im gonna get the iWork and the news that Microsoft is bringing office for I pad it can replace my laptop work to 85%...I doubt a cheap tablet even kindle can do this for me. So I'll always prefer an good quality stuff in this case an I pad...may be a higher end android tab offer same functionality ...I don't know...
But the thing is a 100$ thing will give u only so much ...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have zero confidence in Microsofts ability to put any decent Office apps on the iPad. Zero...

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My final thoughts.

Currently damaging your expensive tablet (most commonly by dropping it), is highly stressful event. Cheaper tablets will reduce the agony. I am pretty sure that for email, web browsing, contacts and calendar, the cheaper devices are quite adequate.

I can imagine that Apple might come up with a cheaper 7" model at the $300 mark, with restricted functionality, to stay in the game.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pay SquareTrade about $33 a year to insure my iPad against any problems including breakage. I insure my cars too. I guess I could ride a bicycle and if it breaks, buy a new one...but... :)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
I pay SquareTrade about $33 a year to insure my iPad against any problems including breakage. I insure my cars too. I guess I could ride a bicycle and if it breaks, buy a new one...but... :)

Wow!!! That's cheap. I should check it out!!!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow!!! That's cheap. I should check it out!!!

They had a promo at the time; looks like it's about $44/yr. now, but still pretty reasonable IMHO and they have an excellent reputation. If you get on their mailing list they offer discounts periodically. One for 35% just expired or I'd post the promo code. More to follow for the holidays no doubt.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
They had a promo at the time; looks like it's about $44/yr. now, but still pretty reasonable IMHO and they have an excellent reputation. If you get on their mailing list they offer discounts periodically. One for 35% just expired or I'd post the promo code. More to follow for the holidays no doubt.

Cool!!

mr_president

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
I have zero confidence in Microsofts ability to put any decent Office apps on the iPad. Zero...

Is agree. Microsoft is of the past.

Sent from Mr_President's iPad using iPF. 32GB 3g

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Microsoft is underestimated a lot here. I agree that it may not match up to the mac os or it may not be having the best pr or it's the model company. Microsoft have had many failures and have many disadvantages .
But one thing is its the most used platform in computers worldwide (over 95%) gets the job done(yeah viruses and all but u have antivirus also)...my windows 7 premium is good enough for me.been 7months now and it has not caused a problem so far.and it's compatible with most gadgets unlike the mac.and for most common people it is affordable.it may not be eye candy but it is good enough.
I have many things against their phone platform but it's getting good reviews .
One thing u have to give it to Microsoft is they are successful and they know marketing. And I certainly don't think they are a thing of past.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A.K said:
Microsoft is underestimated a lot here. I agree that it may not match up to the mac os or it may not be having the best pr or it's the model company. Microsoft have had many failures and have many disadvantages .
But one thing is its the most used platform in computers worldwide (over 95%) gets the job done(yeah viruses and all but u have antivirus also)...my windows 7 premium is good enough for me.been 7months now and it has not caused a problem so far.and it's compatible with most gadgets unlike the mac.and for most common people it is affordable.it may not be eye candy but it is good enough.
I have many things against their phone platform but it's getting good reviews .
One thing u have to give it to Microsoft is they are successful and they know marketing. And I certainly don't think they are a thing of past.

I am stuck with my Microsoft until I can get a Mac lol!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts