What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are photos and camera roll the same?

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I go into photos, there is a choice of photos, photo stream, albums and places.
Photos has all my photographs and they seem to stay there unlike photo stream. When I go into albums there is something called camera roll, I think it has all the same pictures (although I'm not sure there are so many I get confused trying to check back and forth). What is the difference between photos and camera roll? Why do I have two things that, at least to me, seem to be the same?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photos shows all pictures, including those synced through iTunes or imported from a camera. Camera Roll only shows pictures that you have taken, or created and saved on the iPad. Screen shots also show up there. If you've never imported or synced photos to your iPad, they would be the same.

irie93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photos shows all pictures, including those synced through iTunes or imported from a camera. Camera Roll only shows pictures that you have taken, or created and saved on the iPad. Screen shots also show up there. If you've never imported or synced photos to your iPad, they would be the same.

What roll does photo stream play? TIA

irie93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What roll does photo stream play? TIA

Also can you recommend a site/ book/reference where I can get a better understanding of camera roll versus photos versus photostream and why the numbers are different? Again TIA.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photostream shows photos that were are not taken on your device but are sync from your other iOS devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts