What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archive articles and threads

C.J.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way for me to archive or save articles and threads off of various forums on my ipad so I can read them when I am not in a wifi area? (i dont have 3G).

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry C.J. Not aware of any easy way to do this, other than copy / paste into some other app that has local storage... There is no offline mode for the iPF app as far as I know.

OP
C.J.

C.J.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is iPF? i guess I could take screen shots and save it has photos.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is iPF? i guess I could take screen shots and save it has photos.

iPF is the iPad Forum app - it's available free from the App Store. If you're reading iPad Forum using Safari, you could always convert the thread to a PDF and read it off-line that way.

To convert a web page to PDF in Safari you can use a 'bookmarklet' - a small piece of Javascript that will convert the web page to PDF.

Just create a blank bookmark and enter the text below - in its entirety - in the place where the URL normally goes.

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

(sometimes, when I paste this bookmarklet into iPad Forum a spurious space gets inserted in the 'http' part of the bookmarklet. It shouldn't be there so, if you see it, you'll have to edit it out.

Now, when you want to convert a webpage to PDF, simply surf to the page you want to convert and select the above bookmarklet. Safari will convert the page to PDF and you'll then be able to save it in iBooks or another compatible app.

Tim
Scotland.

larla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As shown on Ipad Today (TwiT), in iOS5 Safari will be able to easily convert web page data to something readable later without Wifi connection.

I think the InstaPaper app does something similar now.

OP
C.J.

C.J.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when is iOS5 coming out and how would i go about doing this?

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Internet Browser, iCab Mobile can save a page as an "off-line bookmark." It is available from the App Store (can't see the price, as I already have it installed and the $$ doesn't show)

And, with an app like Print to PDF (which is unfortunately unavailable just now) you can generate a PDF through the "Print" function of iCab, or Safari, I'm sure. I think Save2PDF or something similar would be the app that can do that now. (These might be jailbroken Cydia apps, though.)

Screen Captures, might indeed be the quickest, come to think of it.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions