What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AppStore - back to the beginning

Dov

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are over 1,340 utilities in the AppStore. If I'm browsing the apps and see one I like, I install it. But I can't continue to browse from where I left off instead I'm taken back to the beginning. That's a lot of clicks to get back to where I was. Is there a way to continue from where I was or to jump to a specific page?

Thanks,

Dov

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed, it desperately needs an overhaul now as it's become too unwieldy.
If you know in advance what you want it's fine, but it's become a victim of it's own success and browsing is nearly impossible.
Glad fixing it is not my job....

OP
D

Dov

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not as dumb as I thought I was

Well at least I know I'm not crazy or too dumb to use the iPad. I thought I was missing something. Maybe when the iPad gets multitasking (like the iPhone with OS 4) the app store won't have to close down to install an app and we can go right back to where we were. Just a thought

TFarmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you find one you want to download just write the name down and keep going. Once you are finished browsing just type in the ones you wrote down and begin downloading.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you find one you want to download just write the name down and keep going. Once you are finished browsing just type in the ones you wrote down and begin downloading.
While this is a very simple and elegant solution to the problem, I think what the OP is saying is that since the iPad is a "consumption device" (as opposed to a "real" computer) with a starting price of $500, Apple could be doing a much better job at improving the browsing and purchasing experience in the App Store.

krepitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread! I like to scroll through the new apps, but hate that even if I just look at one, then go back it takes me all the way to the beginning of the list. I guess there really isn't a good solution to this yet.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just use the app called appshopper, you can search and save searches and when you find one you want to purchase you click and it takes you to the appstore so you can buy, go right back to appshopper and pick up where you left off.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
There are times, when I am really searching out apps, where I do so in iTunes, at which point I make extensive use of the Wish List.

Doesn't solve the whole issue, just my way around it.

lactulose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scrolling in app store

One easy way to get around the scrolling issue in the app store is to use the safari browser. I don't have 3 posts so I can't post links, but go to itunes and find app store downloads. From this page you can pick a category and see the names of lots of apps at once, albeit without descriptions.

Bob Zjuronkl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

It was this very issue that drove me to sign up with these forums. A full-on PC guy, the iPad3 was my 1st ever apple product. Damn you, Apple, for making a screen that gorgeous. I was drawn to it, like a virgin to a well-muscled, sweaty gardener. Damn you, retina display, for being too good not to buy. That all's to say, I've been having a lot of adjustment problems to how things work in AppleWorld - like learning to drive on the opposite side of the road, in the air.

But that's all well and good because the sharpness of the images on my screen could split an atom. But the AppStore...

Not only does it 'reset' to the beginning of the search, but what I find really irritating is that - despite having selected 'iPad' under 'devices' - the trip back to Page 1 of the search also fills half of my God-like atom-splitting screen with iPhone apps. Is this preventable? Can I somehow tell the AppStore that I don't have (or want - sorry folks) an iPhone? Or is this a hint? A subtle cue that I ought to get an iPhone, and not doing so is bad and deviant??

If anyone has some tips 'n tricks to make the app store behave the way I want, I'd be greatly appreciative. Otherwise, the sense I get is that the work-around is to find other means of browsing for apps, and leave the app Store for when I've decided on the specific ones I want to download. Right? *Sighs, admires screen.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bob Zjuronkl said:
Not only does it 'reset' to the beginning of the search, but what I find really irritating is that - despite having selected 'iPad' under 'devices' - the trip back to Page 1 of the search also fills half of my God-like atom-splitting screen with iPhone apps. Is this preventable? Can I somehow tell the AppStore that I don't have (or want - sorry folks) an iPhone? Or is this a hint? A subtle cue that I ought to get an iPhone, and not doing so is bad and deviant??

If anyone has some tips 'n tricks to make the app store behave the way I want, I'd be greatly appreciative. Otherwise, the sense I get is that the work-around is to find other means of browsing for apps, and leave the app Store for when I've decided on the specific ones I want to download. Right? *Sighs, admires screen.

To get rid of the iPhone apps that appear, click on devices at the top and select iPad. It defaults to All otherwise. I suspect you would have to do this on each new search.

Bob Zjuronkl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect you would have to do this on each new search.

That's precisely the nature of the pickle: the having to re-tell AppStore that I only want to see iPad goodies... To change its default altogether. It wouldn't even be so bad if it could stay on 'iPad only' for a given episode of clicking on an app of interest then returning to the original search. As it is, it forgets I told it I'm only interested in iPad apps and not iPhone ones. It's like going to some sort of family-run restaurant where they've let grandma help out by waiting on tables even though she's got advanced dementia... All you can do is smile and say thank you every two minutes when she brings you that slice of pie you ordered, tainting what ought to be a carnival of flavor with the bitter reality of her, and by extension ones own, mortality. Sorry for getting philosophical - I just really wanted to my tetris-finding experience everything I wanted it to be.

Most reactions

Latest posts