What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps take forever to download & install

Jsable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my I-pad2 for two days and it takes over an hour to download any app and install it. I have a 16 gb wifi version and everything else works super fast. I am wondering if this is because of the release of the new I-pad with a lot more people accessing the app store? Then again, I have seen i-phones download apps and install in seconds. Even I-phone apps download just as slow on my I-pad2. Everything else is blazing fast on this device, and I don't know why the bog down.

~john

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did a Google Search. "iPad very slow downloading apps"
Apple - Support - Discussions - Very Slow iPad Backup/Sync ...

"Re: Very Slow iPad Backup/Sync

I was kinda skeptical of the cable being a source of the problem so tried it out and sure enough, 40 minutes reduced to less than a minute to download the iPad software update (146MB). Backups and synching are super fast. I also tried re-using the rounded cable and synching/backing up went back to incredibly slow! Not sure why it does this behavior, but using the rectangular USB connector worked great."

Cables being referenced are a bit unclear ... from the first comment person.

OP
J

Jsable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having this problem on wifi download of apps only. I have an ancient windows xp machine with iTunes on it that I use, which seems to be working as fast as that machine can. I have been trying to download and install Angry Birds Rio (started download last night) and this morning the app is still not even a quarter of the way done. I may stop at the apple store on my way to work.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having this problem on wifi download of apps only. I have an ancient windows xp machine with iTunes on it that I use, which seems to be working as fast as that machine can. I have been trying to download and install Angry Birds Rio (started download last night) and this morning the app is still not even a quarter of the way done. I may stop at the apple store on my way to work.
Instead of downloading an app directly through wifi, have you tried through your host computer and iTunes. Just to test?

OP
J

Jsable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am only having trouble downloading and installing from the app store from my home wifi connection, it takes forever! I have no trouble downloading to any other devices, my netbook, laptop and media center linux box all stream hulu movies and videos with no issues and I can download files just fine. Just a point of clarification, I even have this trouble with the iPad2 when I disconnected all other devices from my wireless and wired network and reset the wireless access point to the factory default settings.
I am a newbie when it comes to Apple products so please bear with me, I know Unix & Linux and windows very well and am now learning iOs and Os X (which I thought would be easy with a Unix background). At home I use Linux almost exclusively, the only time I run windows is for iTunes. I can install apps from iTunes just fine, it is a little slow, but that is because it is a very old computer.
I can browse the internet, read The Daily, USA Today, CNN and The New York Times just fine on the iPad2, the only thing that is slow is downloading and installing apps from the app store.
I reset the iPad2 to factory settings, added it to iTunes as a new iPad and then tried to download, still having the same issue. Then, I reset it again and restored my last backup and am still having the issue. I called Apple Support and got to level 2 tech support and they said it is an issue with my network settings, but don't know how to change them. I didn't get a chance to stop at the Apple Store yet, will have to plan the trip for my next day off.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am only having trouble downloading and installing from the app store from my home wifi connection, it takes forever! I have no trouble downloading to any other devices, my netbook, laptop and media center linux box all stream hulu movies and videos with no issues and I can download files just fine. Just a point of clarification, I even have this trouble with the iPad2 when I disconnected all other devices from my wireless and wired network and reset the wireless access point to the factory default settings.
I am a newbie when it comes to Apple products so please bear with me, I know Unix & Linux and windows very well and am now learning iOs and Os X (which I thought would be easy with a Unix background). At home I use Linux almost exclusively, the only time I run windows is for iTunes. I can install apps from iTunes just fine, it is a little slow, but that is because it is a very old computer....

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, is the Windows XP on your old computer updated to SP3?

OP
J

Jsable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I resolved my issue.. Apparently dhcp on my wireless router was limited to a specific number of addreses and there was a conflict with some z-wave devices I have in the house.
BTW, my old laptop does have sp3 installed on it. Also, the reason why this computer was running so slow is that I was using 96% of the hard drive space. I had to copy a lot of stuff from my Linux server to this machine to sync the iPad with iTunes. I wish there was an iTunes for Linux, then I would be all set!

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I too notice that the download of apps from the store are a whole lot slower these past couple of weeks. It can take forever it seems to download a program to the ipad. That link above someone provided I don't see how it had anything to do with this discussion as it seemed to be about backups NOT downloading apps. I get anywhere from 10 to 15 mips download according to my speed program so it isn't my connection. JUst Apple Apps.

cassamdra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a problem

hi um ive had an ipad 2 for a year and it worked really good ,but all of sudden the internet is slower and my apps take forever to load 1 episode it takes more than 3 hours .ive deleted alot of my apps thinking that was it but its still really slow. do you think dropping it could have affected it but not hard enouh were the screen broke .

Most reactions

Latest posts