What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps stuck on "waiting". Help.

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And now I've gone as far as creating a new apple I'd and it still says waiting. This is by far the most annoying thing I've ever experienced with ios.

PrincessRendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm tagging on here too, had this happen twice in a week since updating recently and the buggers won't delete! No X appears to so, I've rebooted it twice and don't know what else to do, and yep, the iTunes account no longer has the download tab, wish I'd kept my ipad1 :(

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PrincessRendle said:
I'm tagging on here too, had this happen twice in a week since updating recently and the buggers won't delete! No X appears to so, I've rebooted it twice and don't know what else to do, and yep, the iTunes account no longer has the download tab, wish I'd kept my ipad1 :(

The download tab in iTunes does appear but only if you do have something downloading.

Clutching at straws here but I have heard that downloading a new app may get them started again....so try downloading a new free app and see. Tap on your waiting apps and see if they will then download.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Random thing that worked on my husband's iPad 1 (before we recently gave it away) when apps hung in waiting mode even though all other iDevices updated the same apps fine:

I changed the date setting on his iPad, which already had the right date, to a day ahead. I don't know why it worked, but it did. I found that fix by googling. Passing on word in case it helps anyone else.

PrincessRendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried everything people have kindly suggested, other apps download fine, I've cleared a song download that was stuck on my iPhone and I've logged out and in again on my iTunes account, boo hoo!!! I have three apps, including the new Now sky tv channel which is on a free 28 day trial, pointless!!!

andymurphy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried absolutely everything to correct this. Most of the solutions offered are obviously from people trying to be helpful but who haven't actually encountered the problem.
The Apps that are frozen on "Waiting" can't be deleted, unlike the other unaffected ones. Rebooting doesn't help, neither does syncing with a PC.
In the end I gave up trying, backed everything up and did a full factory reset.
Inconvenient, but effective.
I've now learnt my lesson and will only install one App update at a time in future.

New ipad 64gb 4hahaG

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
andymurphy said:
I tried absolutely everything to correct this. Most of the solutions offered are obviously from people trying to be helpful but who haven't actually encountered the problem.
The Apps that are frozen on "Waiting" can't be deleted, unlike the other unaffected ones. Rebooting doesn't help, neither does syncing with a PC.
I've now learnt my lesson and will only install one App update at a time in future.

New ipad 64gb 4hahaG

I have had this happen on my iPad and a simple reset did the trick for me, I have also been able to delete a Waiting App as have others.

Many have tried to download something in both iTunes and the App Store at the same time which will lead to this happening, deleting a pending download will fix this.

What may help some, won't fix the same issue for others.

But like you, sometimes the easy fixes will not work and a restore is the last and only option.

Thank you for posting here your experience and letting us know.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I get into the weird situation where an app is stuck in Waiting, I usually just tap the app icon on the Homescreen and it will kick off the download again.

Good luck!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

New ipad 64gb 4hahaG

I have had this happen on my iPad and a simple reset did the trick for me, I have also been able to delete a Waiting App as have others.

Many have tried to download something in both iTunes and the App Store at the same time which will lead to this happening, deleting a pending download will fix this.

What may help some, won't fix the same issue for others.

But like you, sometimes the easy fixes will not work and a restore is the last and only option.

Thank you for posting here your experience and letting us know.

Restoring an iPad is always an option -- it's just the least appealing, which is why people suggest less painful possibilities first. It wouldn't make sense to do otherwise.

Just because a solution didn't work for an individual doesn't mean it might not fix someone else's prob, as Leelai said.

I've had at least two instances when I was left with no option but to restore to factory settings to eliminate apps stuck in waiting. I've had many more experiences when much less painful approaches worked, and I will always try those first. For those users who are impatient, there's always the option of just going straight to restoring, but that seems to go without saying.

Last edited:

PrincessRendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Woweeee!!! Thought you'd all like an update, finally sorted it! Was on the verge of hooking back up to the laptop and re synching the whole shebang as thought I'd done everything: logged in and out of iTunes/restarted/rebooted off with the home and lock button thingies ( not a natural techie!), I've even managed to delete the apps from the settings and they were no longer on the downloads waiting section of the App Store, but still on my homepage blinkin stuck waiting! Anyway, I noticed ALL the apps I've ever purchased were still on the Purchased page on the App Store, inc ones deleted months ago - these particular ones had the iCloud symbol next to them, so I did a couple at a time and retapped the cloud, therefore starting up the app again to open up on my homepage as new. The app that I knew was troublesome then went from waiting to the cloud app after a message popped up saying " now app couldn't be purchased at this time". So I tapped the cloud and it rebooted onto my home page all perfect!!! Can't believe it! Now to go and delete all those crappy once deleted apps again from my home pages! Xxx

aixen06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many Thanks

Some apps in Waiting just won't delete. Have you upgraded your iPad to IOS6? Whenever the iPad is updated all apps are then updated to run on this system. So if you haven't updated the iPad this could be a reason that the apps aren't updating.

Did you look to see if you had any pending downloads in the iTunes app?

Let us know.

Just wanted to say thank you for the information as my issue was with a pending download in iTunes that I had completely forgotten about. Thank you for saving me additional frustration. :thumbs:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
aixen06 said:
Just wanted to say thank you for the information as my issue was with a pending download in iTunes that I had completely forgotten about. Thank you for saving me additional frustration. :thumbs:

That's so good to hear! Glad your issue is now fixed and thank you for letting us know that this info helped you.

Oh and welcome to the Forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts