What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps on my iPad that I use in the car daily

Padholdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.padholdr.com
First of all.... I don't use all of these apps while driving, and I'm not telling you to do so. :) Here is a list of some of the Apps that I have installed on my iPad 2 and my girlfriends iPad that we use in the vehicle that work great!

Co-Pilot (Navigation system, that is constantly updated)
VEVO HD (Music videos that is totally free and updated daily)
Pandora
Beat the traffic (traffic guide with live images of roads)
Netflix (Use this in the front for passenger of headrest)
Weather.com
Google Maps (works excellent to see what the building looks like before you get there)
2do (sync's notes, todo's etc with iMac, Macbook, iPhone)
Zillow (home prices. Good for a day where you are bored and wonder how much some of the houses are worth)
SiriusXM (don't really use much anymore because free subscription is over..)
Friendly Facebook
Trapster (only really use on long road trips)
Yelp (great app for iPad to find good restaraunts with reviews)

I have many other Apps on the iPad's but these are the most used.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good thread.

I travel about 50k miles a year for work so my iPad gets some good use on the road.

My daily apps:

Navigon GPS... Tons of POIs and in app Google searches
Sirius/XM
Google Maps
Weather channel app

As for accessories...

IPad pocket dock... Allows USB charging and audio out from the 30pin connector
Mount guys.com car mount
Dual USB flat charger by belkin

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have about a 35-45 minute commute each way and my next iPad will definitely be 3G!

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with 3G is that compared to WiFi it is sloooow...

When you're used to WiFi it comes as an unpleasant surprise to find out how slow 3G actually is. Some apps, such as the excellent Google Maps, are almost unworkable for mobile use.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slow is a very subjective word ;) The fastest Internet I can get where I live is 1.5meg DSL, and that only became available a couple of months ago. Prior to that I was on dialup!! So 3G is faster than my wifi, and it's always been just fine when on the go. That's why I won't give up my unlimited AT&T! I use it even when I'm at home because it's faster.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, my iPad has sort of taken on a new life in one of my cars since I put in an HD radio. With HD radio, I can actually control my iPad from the head unit (but why would I want to?), but the other feature is the ability to tag songs.

It doesn't work with all songs on all stations all the time, but if the TAG icon on the radio comes on, I can hit the Tag button on the radio and when I plug my iPad into the radio, it will transfer all the songs I have tagged into my iPad. Then when I sync my iPad to iTunes (and apparently I am one of six people in the known universe who do this on a regular basis), it will transfer those tagged selections into the Tagged folder under the Store section of iTunes where it will attempt to locate the song and give me the option to buy it.

How cool is that?

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score

When you're used to WiFi it comes as an unpleasant surprise to find out how slow 3G actually is. Some apps, such as the excellent Google Maps, are almost unworkable for mobile use.

Yeah, this depends on where you live.

I live in the Washington DC metro area where 3g coverage is everywhere... and I hardly notice a difference in speed compared to most wifi networks.

There is never any lag in streaming satelite radio, navigating with GPS, and surfing the web at the same time.... all while parked of course. :D

OP
P

Padholdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.padholdr.com

With my iPad 2 the internet is much faster with 3g. I couldn't play Vevo at all without it buffering on my iPad 1, but the iPad 2 plays fine.

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got caught after buying MetroView gps, the app said it was for iPad but didn't mention it worked only with wifi/next G model. I have the wifi only.
I've put in for a refund from iTunes, hope I get it.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CineXplayer....naughty I know
Skype...even naughtier
(I know it says 2....but LiveProfile also)...I am a naughty boy!!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions