Apps not showing up on itunes

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by walkerinwhistler, Apr 2, 2011.

1. walkerinwhistler

walkerinwhistler iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So ive had my ipad awhile now and ive accumulated about 135 apps. I know holy *#*! thats alot of apps. I have recently purchased an iphone and want to put some select apps on it, however all the apps dont show up in the itunes and i dont know how to put more there.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Wow - yes - a whole *load* of apps....

OK - a quick workaround is to re-download the apps onto your iPhone. If your iPhone and iPad have the same iTunes account you can re-download the apps for free.

Tim
    Scotland
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,661 / 1
    With your iPad connected to iTunes, select the iPad under devices. Go to the Apps tab and make sure sync apps is turned on, including the auto sync at the bottom. Now, if you normally sync with iTunes, do so now and all the apps should be loaded into iTunes.

If you don't want to do a full sync, right click on the iPad under devices and choose Transfer Purchases. That should also move all your apps to iTunes.

When you connect your iPhone, you'll want to visit the same area and select the apps you want. You have to be set to sync and each app you want to sync must have a checkmark next to it.

Some apps are iPad only. If they are not compatible with the iPhone they will not show up in the list of apps available to sync when the iPhone is connected. Some developers make their apps universal, and some write separate apps for each device. Often the names are so close that it isn not immediately obvious which is which.

The sure fire way to know is to look at the app in the App Store. If there is a plus sign in the price/free button then it should work on both devices. If not you'll have to buy the iPhone version if you want the app on that device.

Somewhat familiar with this, since I just spent the last three hours setting up and playing with my new iPhone. :)
  4. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    EDIT: He Twerppoet beat me to it!

If you purchased the apps directly on your iPad, you will have to sync it to iTunes on your PC in order to transfer them to your library, then you can sync them to your iPhone. But be aware that some of your apps might be "iPad only" and won't transfer to your iPhone.
  5. walkerinwhistler

walkerinwhistler iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone. I'm starting to get better with this stuff :)
  6. alstone

alstone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm following up on this thread. Tried the right-click to transfer my apps from the iPad to my iTunes. No luck.

Certainly this is confounded by the fact that the iPad was originally owned by someone else. However I have still purchased some apps with my own mac account. iTunes still refuses to import any of the apps, even those purchased through the same mac account that is associated with my desktop's iTunes store.

Any ideas how to separate those apps purchased by the previous owner and those purchased by me, so I can store a backup on my desktop computer in iTunes?

Thanks!
    -al.
  7. aifrancis

aifrancis iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the information. This really helps.
  8. alstone

alstone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've figured out two things.

1. When I use the previous owner's App Store login, I see that the App store thinks that she bought the apps, not me (even though I have the iPad configured for my account and use that password when purchasing!)
    2. When I authorized my desktop's iTunes to add her account, all of the apps purchased by her can transfer fine, but those that I downloaded still don't.
    Perhaps this is really an app store issue?

-al.
  9. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,661 / 1
    That is because she still owns the apps. Apple does not allow the transfer of accounts or apps to another person. As far as they are concerned she is the sole owner of those apps. All she has to do, anytime, is use her account to download those apps again to another device.

That makes your possession of those apps, at least technically, piracy.

This isn't the first time someone has been sold an iPad with the understanding that they would also own the apps and music already loaded. But it's a mistake. Legally you have no rights to those apps, and there is no way for her to transfer her rights to you.
  10. alstone

alstone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Twerppoet,

I'm up to speed with what you're saying. But here's the difference.

When I got the iPad, I logged out of her app store account and logged in with mine. When I purchased new apps, I used my account name and password to download them.

Now, these apps are living in this no-man's land where when I log into the app store using her account (she's a friend, and I have this information), I see that those that I purchased are labeled "purchased" there.

When I authorized my desktop computer to add her account, it transferred all of the apps that she purchased, but none of those purchase by me, even though my desktop has been authorized for both of our accounts.

Any more clear?
  11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,661 / 1
    I understand the problem.

You'll have to keep switching the iPad's account back and forth to transfer apps from each account. It will only transfer the apps associated with the account you are currently logged into. Or so I understand from other posts. I haven't any personal experience.

It might be necessary to log into the same account on the computer's iTunes also.

Friend or not, you should seriously consider the position you are putting each other in by keeping the apps.
  12. alstone

alstone iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Addendum, I just logged in to the app store on the iPad using my "mac.com" address instead of my usual email. That worked, such that I can now see those apps that I've "installed". So that's good.

Still can't get them to sync to my desktop but at least I can redownload them if I change iPads.