What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps not available in south africa

iPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was disappointed to find that a large percentage of decent apps are not available in this country. I mention but one being Google Earth, but there are stacks of others.

Why is it so ? I see this as being discriminatory towards us in RSA. After all we have all bought the iPad.

BTW I have a 16GB wifi and 3G model.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up, in Canada here there is few that don't make it to the Canadian AppStore.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Poser suggested, this is not Apple's doing - they would love to offer all content in all countries - hey, why wouldn't they? It's simply because of a variety of reasons they can't do this. First is copyright laws - certain books, movies, music is not licences for release in some countries. The second is national legislation - certain countries ban the sale of certain apps, music and movies that they feel might offend cultural or religious sensitivities or for political reasons. Apple abides by all local, regional and national legislation.

Some countries simply don't have App Stores, iTunes Stores. However, many Members set up iTunes accounts in other countries and you don't need a credit card to do this, only an Apple Gift card in the currency of the country that you want to set up your account in. These are very easy to purchase on the Internet and, since you only need the card number and not the physical card, the retailer will email you that number and you're good to go in a few minutes.

Here's the official Apple advice on setting up an iTunes account without a credit card....

Creating an iTunes App Store account without a credit card

Tim

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem here in Israel with Google Map. So I created 2 more accounts. One In USA, and one in England.
It is very easy to do. I think few month ago I even described here in the forum how it can be done.
Now I can download everything, as if I am in the USA.
Every thing here is 100% legal.
You don't need to buy anything in order to create the USA account. all you need is another eMail address.

OP
I

iPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Peled

Can you perhaps tell me agin how you did it?

Dorian

Most reactions

Latest posts