What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

apps keep closing even after multitasking being disabled on iOS 5.1.1

Apple Hummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello guys, i recently updated my iPad 1 to iOS 5.1.1 but am facing a big problem, even after i disabled multitasking, when using an app, the memory still runs out and the app closes, and this happens to all the apps which means i cant use any app for more then 5 mins, not even safari. please please tell me if theres any tweak available or any solution available which can stop the apps from closing, i wil really appreciate your help.
i hope i am asking on the right section, am new to this forum. thank you

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did not know you could disable multitasking? You should close apps from the multitask bar if your iPad starts to run slow, apps crash, etc. a reboot every now and then helps as well.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do you disable multitasking? I don't know why I would do that but I'd like to know how do that should I find it necessary. As previously suggested by dhewson777, have you removed the running apps in the shelf by double clicking the home button? That helps my original iPad a lot.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that you are working within a very constrained memory environment on the iPad1 running 5.1.1. Disabling multitasking via jailbreaking is definately not the right route to explore IMHO. That makes the device consume more, not less memory, even running in a single app scenario.

With 256MB of RAM and IOS 5.1.1 to run, things are extremely tight. If you need Safari to perform optimally, especially on large / complex websites, then the best thing you can do is minimise your RAM footprint by removing as many tweaks as possible.
Simply trying to force Safari to stay in RAM is exactly the thing which will cause it to crash when IOS decides it has run out of memory.

Sorry it's not a more positive solution, but going back to basics may be the thing which helps you most, if your primary usage of the device is browsing in Safari.
If you have saved SHSH Blobs you could also consider going back to a 4.x IOS, such as IOS 4.3.3, which has a smaller RAM footprint (although in 256MB, the margin is not massive). The downside of this being the loss of features such as iCloud and incompatability with a growing number of apps, etc. We have guides and tutorials on this in our Hacking Section if it is of interest.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

OP
A

Apple Hummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tnks alot but goin back to ios 4.x.x is not the right solution for me because i noticed that most apps that i use r now compatible wit only ios 5.x, i gues i just have to get rid of the ipad, tnks anyway

OP
A

Apple Hummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use springtomize 2 to disable the multitasking because using the plist file direct, makes some icons dim. if you disable multitasking, you wont have to have close the apps from multitasking bar

OP
A

Apple Hummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have already disabled multitasking so i dont need to do that, tnks anyway

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your choice. Of course the iPad2 has 512MB RAM and the iPad3 1GB, so issues associated with RAM utilisation are greatly reduced in comparison to the iPad1. I can't remember the last time Safari on my iPad3 crashed out of a site when I was using it.

Personally, I doubt you'll find a competing tablet product released by April 2010 which can run todays latest OS and Apps without any issues, but best of luck ;)

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could their have been a problem with your upgrade? I still (and other users) have an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1 and have little to no crashing problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts