What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps I Like So Far

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my short list of apps that didn't leave me feeling ripped off. If you know of an app that is really good post it here please so hard to sort through them all in that app store.

1. AirAttack HD (most fun I ever had for a dollar)
2. Luminos (only astronomy app thats actually useful in the field)
3. Rage HD (awesome graphics but be advised, only 3 levels)
4. NPR (the radio app, man I love this thing in the mornings!)

So post the ones you love!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd rather people posted the items they liked and found useful rather than link webpages.
Once someone has listed a number of apps you quickly notice if you have similar tastes and want to check out the ones you've missed. Web listings are usually too general relying on popularity rather than the enthusiasm of the writer.

Ok apps I use a lot are:
Pulse, which I've set up for newpapers, my morning read over breakfast.
River of News for my feeds,
Blogshelf for less regular blogs, eg. photgraphic, which I check out once a week.
Articles which I use for wiki searches, I just prefer the presentation compared to the others I tried.
TuneinRadio because it's the first I tried and it works well.
Labyrinth HD a puzzle game by Reiner Knizia new but excellent.
Then theres the usual suspects, Evernote, Zumocast, Splashtop, Goodreader et al. All excellent apps which just do their job.

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
I don't use a lot of apps, so my selection is very limited, but I use:

Dropbox for my file transfers on and off the device. This also doubles as my off site backup for my PC data.

Goodreader - works with dropbox, and google docs, and reads most of the files I need to read.

Popplet
- this is just an awesome app. I use it for creating lists, free form mind maps, and thinking in general. Once the developers get this synced to their web site, and add the new enhancements I know they are working on, it will be even more awesome.

Penultimate - perfect for quick sketches and notes, something I do a lot of and saves me from creating piles of paper.

These are the apps that I use the most (other than email and web) and that I find the most useful. A notable mention should also go to the new twitter app - I find myself using twitter more now because the app is much better.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Favourite iPad Apps

I like, and use:

Office2HD because it allows me to use iDisk and Dropbox and to move files between them. Though I don't use it for actually creating or editing documents.

Phatware WritePad to take notes. Excellent handwriting recognition. I used Caligrapher on successive xda's (htc's) and got to be quite proficient with it.

Penultimate for taking notes that I don't need to convert into text and for quick sketches etc.

Pages for word-processing and Numbers for spreadsheets.

Omnigraffle, touch draw and idesign for various graphics purposes.

iThoughts HD for mind mapping etc.

One gripe is that there is very little information on Apps in the App Store and I have ended up buying a number of Apps then discarding them when their limitations show up in use. Yes the Apps are cheap, but they are 'cheap'.

OP
T

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah Hasty I forgot about TuneIn radio, I love that app man...been checking out stations in France, kinda cool even though I dont speak French still sounds great!

Labyrinth HD I saw but hadn't tried, may have to give that one a go.

Hey AlunReynolds, do you think Pages is still worth it since you can do full editing of google docs now? I need a word processor with the power and functionality of something like Micrsoft Word, would you rate Pages up there?

Been playing with Luminos some more this morning they just did an update already so I'm really happy, got me a new Hubble image to check out now :):)

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages @ Texas Mark

Pages is OK Mark. True, like most iPad Apps it isn't the full fat, high calorie application that Microsoft Word is. But then it only cost about 5% of the price :eek:). I think you have to ask yourself what you are going to use Apps for. Most of what I use Pages for is letters, memos and to edit documents that others send me from work.

The one function which is lacking, that I would love to see added, is track changes. I share a lot of documents with work colleagues and others in the University sector that I work in. being able to see changes suggested by others is the true strength of documents sharing.

But for most of what I want Pages will do the job well enough.

I have tried a number of alternatives including docs 2 go, quick office and office2HD. They all show their limitations really quickly. For instance, I couldn't get docs 2 go to email reliably.

Regards,
Alun

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Deckyon

For instance, I couldn't get docs 2 go to email reliably.

Regards,
Alun

Just curious why you would need to email from Docs2Go (which works fine for me except on very, very large files) when you could just use DropBox on your other PCs/Macs/whatever.

I used to save all email attachments into Docs2Go and use their editors. I like it because it handled word and excel documents quite well (until I wanted to deal with large files). But after editing any document, if I chose to 'send it by email' it would not arrive at the other end. Probably some setting I haven't worked out yet. In the end I started using Office2 HD just as a file storage and retrieval system. Because I can save to iDisk or Dropbox.

Have a great day and any advice or guidance will be more than welcome. Always keen to learn. 'Every day is a school day' :)

OP
T

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Alun, mostly I do creative writing. Really thats about it anymore, letters or business related stuff I just use my email prog.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4. NPR (the radio app, man I love this thing in the mornings!)
For streaming radio stations, Pocket Tunes is my "go to" app. Its not free ($6.99), but well worth it... to me anyway. Its has almost all of my local stations (that I listen to anyway, not just NPR) plus stations from all over the world! Its great because I can listen to "Car Talk" an hour before it comes on here and that way I look like a genius when I know the answer to last weeks puzzler when it comes on at its normal time here!

As far as the NPR stuff, my local NPR station actually has 3 HD streams that I can get on this app. I have a "vintage" stereo system in the "man cave" and with this app, I don't need to go out and buy a separate HD tuner.

If you don't want to let $7 worth of moths out of your wallet, there is a free app called Public Radio Player has NPR stations plus many independent community radio stations.

OP
T

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Havent tried the one you mentioned. I personally prefer the NPR app for the public radio because it allows me to select among not just the stations but various programs, can also just click tne hourly news highlights live feed.

I think its relly cool how mobile devices are breathing life back into radio, seemed like they had almost started to fade but now with so many great radio apps it's become fun again!

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages

Hey Alun, mostly I do creative writing. Really thats about it anymore, letters or business related stuff I just use my email prog.

I would have thought Pages would be fine then. Though I have to say I am glad I bought an external keyboard as well. The onscreen one is fine for small amounts of text or edits and changes. But for writing something long... Have you tried dragon dictation? I got a copy and it seems to work reasonably well converting my speech to text.

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For instance, I couldn't get docs 2 go to email reliably.

Regards,
Alun

Just curious why you would need to email from Docs2Go (which works fine for me except on very, very large files) when you could just use DropBox on your other PCs/Macs/whatever.

In my case, I would use Dropbox, but my workplace blocks it. I can't figure out why, but they do.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really enjoy, and use regularly, the following:

1) Goodreader: Mainly for its annotation capability and the ability to put stuff into folders. Oh, and to be able to e-mail stuff. Oh, and to be able to use Goodreader USB on my PC and easily transfer apps. Oh, and to be able to download stuff with it ... and to watch videos and play songs. Basically, Goodreader is great!

2) River of News: What a great app for getting my RSS feeds. I like that I can just scroll through all my feeds, or separate them by topic. I also like that I can click on one for more reading, or just scroll right on by. Very nice.

3) Tunein Radio: It's an app that lists a whole bunch of radio stations. I listen to my local station in the morning. Very helpful for news and local traffic reports. Very reliable and, of course, with 4.2., I can do other things while it plays in the background.

4) iCab Browser: My browser of choice (although I don't mind when the iPad defaults to Safari). I like it for the download capabilities and TABS! I use Firefox on my PC, and this is close to that. Very nice browser with good security for remembering logins.

5) Boxcar: Notifies me when I get emails, texts or Facebook notifications/messages. I don't have to have anything open, I've got Boxcar set up to receive notifications and then push them to me. Very convenient and helps me not miss stuff when I'm not paying attention...

That's my regular stuff. I've got a lot of others ... to include games. Dang, but I love this iPad! :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts