Apps for the Blind & Visually Impaired

Discussion in 'Apps for Special Needs' started by Haoleguy, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Haoleguy

Haoleguy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New iPad user here. After about a year of looking into hand held devices for my brother-in-law I purchased an iPad because of its VoiceOver capability. You see my BIL has macular degeneration that hit him in his early 60s and his eyesight progressively got worse to his current age in the late 70s. He was a highly active man until the past 6-8 yrs and his loss of eyesight has cut him off from things he loves to do. The iPad I think has promise to get him connected into people & former interests again. Upfront I can tell you that books don't float his boat. Now to my question. I have noticed that the applications I have downloaded so far(NPR, LA Times, Golf Channel) do not work, or, work poorly with VoiceOver. From what I can tell there is no mention of compatibility with VoiceOver in the app description in iTunes. I figure that more experienced iPad users of this forum could point me to national news, sports(golf, football), travel, cars, and entertainment news and trivia apps that work well with VoiceOver. Many thanks for reading this and offering suggestions.........Gary
  2. appsmonkey

appsmonkey iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went through my apps in VoiceOver mode and like you said, most of them function very poorly (if not at all). There was, however one app that worked excellently was a fun app called 10,500 Cool Facts (it's free). It simple enough you can navigate it with 2 taps. After you open the app, you just tap once and VoiceOver will read the fact to you, and then you double-tap to get the next fact. The letters are even huge enough to probably read.

(tap once to read)
    [​IMG]

(double-tap to get next fact)

[​IMG]

Also, I know you said he doesn't like books, but for anyone else who is interested, VBookz is a nice accessibility-friendly audiobook app with text-to-speech built in, so you don't have to rely on the VoiceOver feature. You can download as many books as you want for free from their database of 30,000 books from the public domain (the public domain = non-copyrighted material). Some titles include:

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
    Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
    Gulliver's travel by Jonathan Swift
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas Pere
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  3. Haoleguy

Haoleguy iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Apps for the Blind ....

Thanks Appsmonkey! I will try both of those suggestions and take a close look at the book selections. Thank you.
  4. Kim54

Kim54 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a school teacher and will be using an ipad with a visually impaired student. The student is middle school age and having difficulty with math. Looking for apps that would provide matching, quantity assessment, and assistance in one to one correspondence activities. The student continues to struggle with basics concepts. Any ideas would be appreciated
  5. juniebug

juniebug iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am the parent of a visually impaired child and this is not an app but it has helped him a great deal. The site is Khan acadamey. Use of the site on the ipad is wonderful. Please try it.
  6. iPad4blindkids

iPad4blindkids iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am also the parent of a blind child. He is 2.5 years old and has light perception only. I write a blog about my son and a lot of it focuses on his use of the iPad. For a toddler, he really gets a lot out of his iPad. He has some e-books, and games. I use it for learning Braille with the Braille Driller app. Several apps for young children are good at teaching finger isolation which is a necessary pre-braille skill. If you have a young blind child or teach blind/vi kids take a look at my blog.

It won't let me post the link because I am new. Google - Thomas Marshall Does It All - to find my blog.
    Thanks!
  7. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,156 / 1
    Please read the rules-personal blogs, emails, Facebook accounts are against forum rules.
  8. domiha

domiha iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Voiceover compatible apps

I realize this thread was started long ago. For those who may be new and just coming across it, if you google "voiceover compatible apps ipad" you will come across several links that give lists of apps that are known to be compatible with Voiceover. Also, whenever you use an app that is not completely compatible with Voiceover, I would encourage you to send a comment to the author of the app and let them know you would like it to be compatible. If they receive enough feedback, perhaps this will lead them to make the app compatible.

I have worked with several blind users of the iPad... and Voiceover is an incredible tool! Bravo Apple!!!
  9. Midranger4

Midranger4 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
  10. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +477 / 0
    The decision to create a special needs forum was only made in the past week. I moved threads that users had submitted some time back to this new forum so they would be in one place. We welcome new posts and in addition for any one to create new threads that may assist any one with special needs..... If you have any suggestions or feel we can expand on this area please send me a private message. Thank you
  11. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,156 / 1
    Hi Folks-

Thank you for your interest in the Special Needs Forum-As Col stated, we are very excited to get this Forum going to help members with physical disabilities find apps that can help them in their Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). We would love to hear from you and share ideas/apps with this Forum.

We have just created a Voice Over iPad Tutorial. Our Super Moderator, Gabriel1, created this Tutorial to help members understand all the functionality of Voice Over. As you already know, this feature on the iPad is a very powerful feature for the Visually Impaired. With it has some settings that requires a bit of learning curve--so these instructions should be very helpful.

Voice Over Link is: http://www.ipadforums.net/help-ipad-special-needs-users/72320-how-guide-using-voiceover-ios-5-1-a.html

T
    hank you for your responses and looking forward to more,

Skimonkey
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  12. Hayz

Hayz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think this section is great, my mum is dyslexic and I am hoping the iPad apps will help her with her dyslexia, with this part of the forum, I am able to see if there is apps/advise etc, I am also blind in one of my eyes, and have found the iPad better then other tablets, to help me see letters etc.
  13. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +477 / 0
    Thanks for your response. I created this forum to assist any one whom have special needs. The response is amazing. My suggestion is ask what type of app you are seeking and we will endevor to find an answer for you.
  14. allenr

allenr iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all,

I just got a ipad3 and I am also the parent of a deaf/blind child and was looking for apps or suggestions on how I can utilize the iPad to increase some interactivity or entertainment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  15. Temp72

Temp72 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for sharing App Advice's list of apps for the visually impaired. It is nice to see so many wonderful apps for people with special needs.
  16. katiea

katiea iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all, I have to share it with you. I saw that my 1.5 year-old child is quite curious about the ipad, especially when I move the screen with my finger. So I found on app store an app which claims to be easily used by 1 year-old babies. I tried it and I've got to say that they definitely hit the target - my child easily swipes between the photos of animals and entertains himself! Just think about it, he uses the iPhone before he learned how to speak! :))

Here is the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baby-shuffle-animals/id562559864?mt=8
    [TABLE]
    [/TABLE]
  17. Visualman

Visualman iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are just starting to use iPads with our VI pupils here in Dorset UK. Would be very interested in sharing experiences.
  18. bobsmo

bobsmo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've released a new audio game app for blind and visually impaired. It uses GPS on your iPhone or android. Walk to the center of an open field and six virtual targets will be arranged around you. Echo locate them using headphones to determine direction.

Sighted folks can play it also ;)

Open Field Echo Sounder

phone_ff.png[/URL]

19. Aimes_D

Aimes_D iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi my partner & i are both partially sighted with ipads and we have found a great new app it turns your ipad/iphone into a video magnifier! It is called eyesight by a company called sight tech

It costs £21 but that beats paying out upto £500 or more for an actual video magnifier!

It has the ability to change the colour contrast to either white on black, yellow on blue, yellow on black and blue on white and obviously standard view too and you switch between them simply by tapping once anywhere with 1 finger
    Zooming in and out is easy too just pinch to zoom as you were zooming in on safari or a photo

NOT compatible with voiceover though!

Hope this helps