What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for people in IT

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great Tread. It will go some way to demonstrate the iPad tools available to make the IT team's life easier and more mobile.

mlaurencg4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mlaurencg4 said:
------------------------

I am hopeful that this thread will be appropriate for this inquiry - at least there are some very informed professionals subscribed. Well here goes.

I am a retired guy in Canada. I use TeamViewer to remotely provide mac + pc coaching / support to a large number of retirees in several countries. Now many of my clients are purchasing iPads. Currently Skype is my only solution to work with from one to four persons (my own limit) simultaneously. I'm sure by now you can envision camera 2: my fixed (yes, duct tape) hi-res webcam 12" away from the iPad, providing my clients a shared view of the "how-to-demo". While it works, I really yearn for the shared remote desktop of the mac + pc versions of TeamViewer.

It seems to me that if a wired or wireless representation of my iPad can be projected onto a screen in my house, then the technology should be capable of handling the same for a screen 12000 Kms away. Does anyone have any knowledge of any other solution available at this time for iPad to iPad support? Does anyone have any knowledge of why TeamViewer can not yet provide this capability? Is there some reason why Apple would not wish to enable this capability? My success with coaching this boomer / zoomer population has certainly contributed to iPad sales.

Thanks for your thoughts on this post.

----------------------

Since posting this message a year ago I've since discovered a couple of solutions exist to meet this challenge and decided to go with Air Server. My clients worldwide have an excellent view of a full screen iPad (mine) on their computer or laptop via TeamViewer. Note that I'm running a 3.06 GHZ C2D OS 10.8.2 and 20+ Mbps down / 2 + Mbps up. My remote clients have as little as 4 mbps down / .5 mbps up on various platforms. Cheers.

McCannon01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I realize this thread is 3 years old, but I loaded the latest Mocha VNC app (free version) on my iPad retina and had it up and communicating on my home LAN (Time Capsule) in about 20 minutes to screen share with my iMac. It took about a half a day to get it to work LTE through the Internet because I had to work through the alphabet soup in setting up the router, doing this for the first time. The next time it will probably take a whole 5 minutes. Works quite well!

The only problem I had was when entering a hardware address I forgot the last two 2-char entries and had to jump out of the config set up to go find them (yeah, I should have written it down!). Anyway, the app generated an error about the incomplete address, which I acknowledged (OK OK OK !!, I'll be right back!), but then upon return the keyboard no longer came up no matter what field I tried to modify. After fooling with that for about 20 minutes, I deleted the app and reloaded again. Not a big problem for me right now, but be aware of this bug because I can see in the future that reconfiguring after re-downloading will get annoying. I'll play with the free version for a little while and if it seems robust enough, I'll definitely buy the full blown version for the added functionality and convenience.

I'll deal with the new IP address issue on router boot-up later, but I'm just testing for now. I believe this is not an issue if used on my wifi LAN and I reserve local IP address to my devices hardware addresses.

Thanks for the tip, MikesToolz!

Most reactions

Latest posts