What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for Autsim Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other Developmental Disabilities

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

April 2 marked the celebration of World Autism Awareness Day 2012.

To help awareness-- Autism Speaks, one of the nation's largest organization for science and research, helped to "Shine a Light" on Autism. Buildings from around the world celebrated this day by shining a blue light of awareness to autism. In March 2012, the Centers for Disease Control updated its autism prevalence to 1 in 88 children in the United States. It is now considered an epidemic with the numbers doubling since it first began tracking Autism.

Picture from Toys"R"us

image-1960249380.jpg

What is Autism?
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institute of Health explains Autism as..." being a complex disorders of brain development which impairs the ability for a child to have social interaction, communication skills(both verbal/nonverbal skills), repetitive movement and behaviors."

With April being the month of Autism Awareness, we wanted to share some Apps that have been useful for those with Autism and/or other developmental disabilities. These are general recommendations based on National Association Websites as well as what some of my colleagues in the Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy Profession have used with their family and clients. Of course these are just a snap shot of what is available. There are just hundreds of iPad Apps available for use if you use search terms such as: Autism, Learning Disabilities, Education.

If you are aware of any other related apps that are applicable here, please share with us. We would love to hear from you.

Thank You,

Skimonkey
iPad Forum Moderator Team

** Please Note: The information only speaks of these Apps based on personal use/information gathered from association websites. It does not speak or provide Medical Advice. Please consult your Medical Physician or health care professional regarding specific needs as necessary. **

My First Word (iPhone, iPod touch & iPad)
This app allows kids to use Flash Cards for common words. The flash cards has audio capabilities for Text-to-speech ability.

image-3590495440.jpg

Choiceworks(iPhone, iPod touch and iPad)
This app helps kids complete daily routines and helps them with controlling and understand feelings.

image-1989084458.jpg

Conversation Coach Lite (iPad)
This App helps kids learn to converse back and forth with another person with the help of picture diagrams.

image-1150896417.jpg

iAssist Communicator(iPhone, iPod touch & iPad)
This app is focused on individuals that are on the Autism Spectrum and others that are more cognitively challenge to communicate with ability to upload photos that is unique to the individual.

image-439804101.jpg

iCommunicate (iPhone, iPod touch & iPad)
iCommunicate helps you design visual schedules, storyboards, communication boards, routines, flashcards...Can be customized to fit the need of the individual.

image-4124145007.jpg

MOM, IT'S ME!(iPhone, iPod touch & iPad)
This apps allows for the child to be the star of the story. Personalized stories can be created with pictures and sounds unique to the individual.

image-474431833.jpg

Proloquo2go (iPhone, iPod touch & iPad)
Proloquo2go provides a full-featured augmentative and alternative communication solution for people who have difficulty speaking.

image-736052008.jpg

Model Me Going Places 2 ( iPad)
Visual teaching tool for helping children navigate in the community setting. Contains photo slide of kids showing good behavior.

image-487143177.jpg

Talking Tom (iPad)
This is a fun app where you say a word than Talking Tom says it back!

image-189013524.jpg

Last edited:

beavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is the Grace system. It is on the pricey side at $25.99 but it works wonderfully.

Attachments

• image-161495560.jpg
    image-161495560.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 795

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
These are great! I wanted to add that many of the ABA apps are usually free during April for autism awareness month! It's truly amazing how powerful a toll the iPad has become in helping non-verbal autistic children communicate with the world:thumbs:

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is the Grace system. It is on the pricey side at $25.99 but it works wonderfully.

Beavery--this looks like a wonderful app as well. Thanks for sharing--I think that this app would be useful for other members that have difficulty with reciprocity with others. Thanks for sharing--please let us know if you have other apps to share. We would like for this to become a registry of apps that members can come to and review to see what is available. I see that the price is for $26--and agree that it is on the high side. There are other apps that have gone for ~$200, but based on user reviews-it is well worth it. Fortunately, there is a wide variety of apps that have some similar functions but at lesser cost and/or free.

These are great! I wanted to add that many of the ABA apps are usually free during April for autism awareness month! It's truly amazing how powerful a toll the iPad has become in helping non-verbal autistic children communicate with the world:thumbs:

HappyPelican--I did see that some of the apps went on discount, but did not know that some went for free. That's good to know and also to share with our members and friends/family having loved ones with Autism.

As I said above-let us know other similar or related type of apps that can help here. We'd like to create a library/registry of these apps for other members to reference.

This is all great, thank you to both of you. :thumbs:

Carol

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My view would be that $26 is a small price to pay if it will help out a child with autism. It is also worth remembering that if it doesn't do what it says it will do then Apple will refund your money.

The Archangel

spartan1195

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow these apps are fantastic, my daughter has ASD and, while she uses the ipad, I never considered that there could be apps to help her condition.
Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Spartan,

I'm so happy that you came upon this thread and found it useful for your child. :)

Our Moderating Staff and Administrators felt that we could use a Section for Special Need Users--to assist members with finding Apps that would help with either Cognitive or Physical Disabilities.

I'd also like to direct you to this wonderful tutorial that our Super Moderator, Gabriel1, created for Voice Over:
http://www.ipadforums.net/help-ipad-special-needs-users/72320-how-guide-using-voiceover-ios-5-1-a.html

T
hank you for letting us know your thoughts and do let us know how your daughter does if she begins to use any of these Apps.

Carol

steve1040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread - I just upgraded to ipad 2. I was all prepared to sale the ipad 1 but after reading this thread I've decided to wipe it clean and give it to my 14 year old autistic daughter. I'm excited to see how the schedule and conversation apps will help her.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve-

That's great to hear that this thread was useful! We hope that some of these app will help your daughter with her communication skills and ADLs.

By chance-what is the iOS version on your iPad 1? Since many of these apps may have updated to work with the iOS 5 or greater.

steve1040

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Steve-

That's great to hear that this thread was useful! We hope that some of these app will help your daughter with her communication skills and ADLs.

By chance-what is the iOS version on your iPad 1? Since many of these apps may have updated to work with the iOS 5 or greater.

I have it @ 5.0.1

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's great-I am glad that you are at least up to 5.0.

The current version is 5.1-so some apps may need that if asked when you try to download. Take care.

Carol

steve1040

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How do I get Apps for free? They all have a fee

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Steve-as HappyPelican stated some did go free or were reduced to a discounted price. My guess is that it was only for a day-April 2-which is the official day of Autism awareness day.

There are many apps in the AppStore. If you type in key mesh words such as: learning disability, autism, education- it will pull up many,many apps-even some for free. Hope this helps.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Carisa, thank you for posting this information for others to see.

Usually, we do not allow for external links to be included in posts, such as FB, Twitter or blog sites--however, this shows support to the current content of this thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Skimonkey

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just stumbled onto this app and it looks like it could lead to a lot of other useful information. - Autism Apps
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/autism-apps/id441600681?mt=8

Here is what they say on it

Autism Apps is simply a comprehensive list of apps that are being used by people diagnosed with autism, Down syndrome and other Special needs. It also includes links to any available information that can be found for each app as well as video demonstrations and reviews.

image-2100721959.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts