What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps crashing

Jabernethy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is one year old and suddenly it is crashing. I will be using an app and the app will suddenly close. It is happening more and more frequently. Kind of feels like a PC :confused: help!

Tfstairs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you syncing and updating regularly? Also shutting down your iPad weekly is a good idea.
Just shutting down normally will do. Occasionally you may want to do a hard restart, holding the home and sleep buttons down until it completely shuts down.

Reaction score
Many chrashes are related to low memory being available. As Tfstairs suggested, a weekly reboot of the iPad (holding the power button for 5 sec, than slide to power off) will help in cleaning the RAM.

Do only certain apps crash? Which iOS version is your iPad running? iOS 4.3.3 is the current one.
And lastly, is the iPad jailbroken, or is it a non-jb iPad?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad's operating system is designed to automatically shut down apps which are consuming high memory resources, or when memory resources run low.

First, check which version of operating system you have (Setting > General > About). If it is version 4.2 or later, then you can double-tap on the home button. This brings up the multitasking bar at the bottom of the screen - this shows which apps you have currently in multitasking state. Touch and hold one of the icons until they start to wiggle, then shut down the apps which you don't need. If you have an older version of operating system, it's worth considering upgrading to a more current version.

I also use the app XSysInfo which reports on memory usage, and it also offers two levels of memory cleansing (normal and deep) - it's like doing a reset to clean out your memory except without having to actually reset. It will work on iOS 3.0 or better, so chances are you should be able to use it as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts