What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps are crashing frequently ios5

Status
Not open for further replies.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've got an iPad 1 but my apps aren't crashing. Have you guys reset your iPads? That's seems to clear anything wrong.

The iPad1 was reset to factory, then upgraded to iOS5. The problem is simple: the iPad2 and later iPhones have more memory than the iPad1 and the new operating system was written to taken advantage of that, as have the app updates. There are some apps that always pushed the limits of the iPad1's RAM and processor on my iPad1, and now those apps are crashing frequently. We can blame my set-up all day long, but both Ipads are running identical set-ups, both are top-of-the-line models (64GB 3G), and the iPad2 runs like a champ while the iPad1 has more crashes than a demolition derby.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad equivalent of "format and reinstall." Go into Settings/general and scroll down to reset.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad equivalent of "format and reinstall." Go into Settings/general and scroll down to reset.

That would be a restore. It erases everything; apps, data, settings. You end up with an iPad in the same state as when you bought it. Reset is less drastic. It is more than a restart, but nothing is deleted.

It is a bit confusing, since it is found under Settings > General > Reset; however you'll notice the command that does the big erase is not itself called a Reset, and every thing on the page that is called a Reset only affects specific services.

Last edited:
OP
Shihid

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
That would be a restore. It erases everything; apps, data, settings. You end up with an iPad in the same state as when you bought it. Reset is less drastic. It is more than a restart, but nothing is deleted.

It is a bit confusing, since it is found under Settings > General > Reset; however you'll notice the command that does the big erase is not itself called a Reset, and every thing on the page that is called a Reset only affects specific services.

Thanks

skylined69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not had too many crashes but the app store has been buggy since the update, sometimes stalls or repeatedly wants to update the same app.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skylined69 said:
I've not had too many crashes but the app store has been buggy since the update, sometimes stalls or repeatedly wants to update the same app.

I've had this happen a number of times since updating to OS5. My other apps are fine but the app store has gotten unpredictable.

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

newburcj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having similar problem with iPad 1. Update went ok. All iOS 5 updates for available apps made. Crashes happening multiple times per day. Facebook, twitter, stumbleupon, alien blue, huffington post, Reuters, clipboard, many others just crash. Possible trigger is when these apps try to fetch a web page. More than 50 % of drive still available. Have done several full reset/reboots but this doesn't help.

Another possible symptom is a noticeable slowness. Even after rebooting. As I type this, the typing always seems to be playing 'catch up', like there's a half-second between tapping a key and the letter appearing on the screen.

Internet connection is DSL via Airport, but I've excluded this as a source of the problem since my iMac, which is on the same local net, works fine. No, this is a problem with iOS 5. Sure, I could opt for an iPad 2, but they cost too much for me to be buying a new model ever year. Unlike cars, though, there's no trade in value :) besides, with my luck, the very day I mortgage my first born to buy an iPad 2, Apple will come out with an iPad 3 and discontinue support for iPad 2 and under.

AikiLou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone help me, please? I have the Huffington Post on two home pages I use: igHome and Yahoo. When I click on either a headline from Huffington Post, it goes to the story, but freezes...will NOT let me scroll up or down or it scrolls two sentences at a time every four or five minutes. I have deleted and added it again a number of times, but, to no avail. In my head, computers are supposed to do what you tell them to do, not what they FEEL like doing. Help!!!!!!!!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone help me, please? I have the Huffington Post on two home pages I use: igHome and Yahoo. When I click on either a headline from Huffington Post, it goes to the story, but freezes...will NOT let me scroll up or down or it scrolls two sentences at a time every four or five minutes. I have deleted and added it again a number of times, but, to no avail. In my head, computers are supposed to do what you tell them to do, not what they FEEL like doing. Help!!!!!!!!!

It could very well be that the page you are trying to load is heavy on graphics and images - that's why it may take a long time to load.

Or - what type of access do you have to the internet: WiFi or cellular? And, do you have a good connection? If you have a spotty connection or one that isn't strong (or downloads fast), it will hang up on graphic/image intensive pages.

So, one thing you can do is check your internet connection. Make sure you got a strong signal with a fast (well, fat as you can get) download capability.

Another thing you can try is to fully close out the browser you are using to view the page and then restart or reset the iPad. To do (apologies if you know):

RESTART/RESET
Fully Close an App (iOS 6): Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Fully Close an App (iOS 7): Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons and cards in the multi-tasking viewer. Swipe up on all the cards until they are all gone.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

I included direction for iOS 6 as you didn't tell us what version of iPad you have ... or what generation of iPad.

Oh, and if you have the first generation iPad, it has very low RAM compared to the newer models, so it will load pages slow also.

Hopefully, some of this, when applied, will help with your loading speeds. Holler back if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

AikiLou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks...I have BUZZFEED, SALON, DAILY BEAST, BBC NEWS, etc on both home pages. When I click on a story on one of these sites, no problem. It is just with the Huffington Post...the front page opens, and then, it freezes...will not allow me to scroll down. We have very good wifi. Everything is fine except for being able to read the Huffington Post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts