What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps allowing multiple copies of a single app.

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello, has anyone experience of the apps that allow more than one copy of the same app to be installed on an iPad or iphone?
There seem to be several of these apps mainly aimed at social networks, ie. installing multiple copies of Facebook or what’s app to be used with seperate accounts.
I am interested in using such an app for accessing my bank accounts. I have two quite seperate accounts with the same bank and their app only allows me to access one account. I can use internet banking of course and bypass the app for the second account. I struck a situation yesterday where the access to my bank via the internet signin was not available but access via the app was available, thus my question.
Appreciate any advice re these apps.

Alex

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m not aware of any apps that let you install multiple copies on iOS. You can sometimes find different versions of an app, and install both, but they will be listed as different apps in the App Store.

The possible exception are Web Apps. These are not in the in the App Store. Instead, you will be instructed to go to a certain site/link, and then add it to your Home Page in the Share menu. It seems unlikely your bank would use a Web app, but you could ask.

If you know of an example of an App Store app that can be installed twice, please let me know.

OP
alexm1

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. There are a dozen or more apps, very new, so I am not comfortable to leap in particularly as my need is a banking app.
Search “parallel space” in the App Store and you see them, mostly to do with social networking.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. There are a dozen or more apps, very new, so I am not comfortable to leap in particularly as my need is a banking app.
Search “parallel space” in the App Store and you see them, mostly to do with social networking.
The Canadian App Store has no listings under parallel space. Parallel Space is an Android tool that is not available for iOS devices. Apple does not allow multiple copies of the same app on one device.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I took a look. There are indeed a few apps named Parallel Space and/or Dual Space. The ones that do what you describe, allow multiple social accounts, do not do this by letting you install Facebook, Twitter, or other apps twice. They replace those apps, and let you have multiple accounts inside their app. (Or just a different account from you main FaceBook app).

This is not the same as installing an app twice. It’s two different apps that can access the same service. Facebook and several other social apps have API’s that let other apps access them.

Given that approach, you might be able to use a budget app like Mint or Quickbooks. These apps are granted access to your account to track expenditure. Since they are meant for tracking budget/expenditures, they won’t give you the other bank services like deposits, transfers, etc. Also, since the app has to access and download this information, it is not always up to date, and the app can loose it’s access privileges and need re-authorizing (happens to Mint all the time.) It might be adequate for a seldom used account that you rarely interact with.

I’ve never heard of any bank allowing more access to a third party app that this.

Not all banks are compatible with outside budget apps. I’d ask first, and then ask what app they recommend. There is probably a help mail/text feature in your existing app. I’d try that first, since bank tellers aren’t necessarily tech savvy.

It’s also possible the existing app can handle multiple accounts. This may or may not be something you’re willing to do. It sounds like you want more separation.

OP
alexm1

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I took a look. There are indeed a few apps named Parallel Space and/or Dual Space. The ones that do what you describe, allow multiple social accounts, do not do this by letting you install Facebook, Twitter, or other apps twice. They replace those apps, and let you have multiple accounts inside their app. (Or just a different account from you main FaceBook app).

This is not the same as installing an app twice. It’s two different apps that can access the same service. Facebook and several other social apps have API’s that let other apps access them.

Given that approach, you might be able to use a budget app like Mint or Quickbooks. These apps are granted access to your account to track expenditure. Since they are meant for tracking budget/expenditures, they won’t give you the other bank services like deposits, transfers, etc. Also, since the app has to access and download this information, it is not always up to date, and the app can loose it’s access privileges and need re-authorizing (happens to Mint all the time.) It might be adequate for a seldom used account that you rarely interact with.

I’ve never heard of any bank allowing more access to a third party app that this.

Not all banks are compatible with outside budget apps. I’d ask first, and then ask what app they recommend. There is probably a help mail/text feature in your existing app. I’d try that first, since bank tellers aren’t necessarily tech savvy.

It’s also possible the existing app can handle multiple accounts. This may or may not be something you’re willing to do. It sounds like you want more separation.

Thanks for the comprehensive analysis. I didn’t pick up the way they worked, I thought that they may be utilising a small part of the storage that they somehow separated from the rest of the storage. I have an excellent tracking app for my finances (account tracker pro) so not looking for quicken or the like, I was wanting to use the banking app as designed, deposits, transfers etc but on the two seperate accounts. I think I will continue with my current approach and not pursue these apps further.
Thanks again for your input, always thorough and helpful!

OP
alexm1

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Canadian App Store has no listings under parallel space. Parallel Space is an Android tool that is not available for iOS devices. Apple does not allow multiple copies of the same app on one device.

scifan, here is a screen shot of the Australian store.

Attachments

• 900003FC-371A-43B0-B5FF-01AAEE4B8520.png
    900003FC-371A-43B0-B5FF-01AAEE4B8520.png
    739.3 KB · Views: 265

Most reactions