1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Application or screen level locking

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by thebytedoc, Apr 7, 2011.

1. thebytedoc

thebytedoc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was hoping to find an app that would enable the ability to lock out specific apps or even at a higher level be able to lock given screens on the iPad. My guess is Apple has much to tight a reigns on the OS to allow third party to develop this type of security. Also, this is more for a child proofing thing than corporate issue, but certainly would be applicable to a Corp. ... Any idea,s suggestions or insights on this would be great!!
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Within the iPad 'Settings', 'Restrictions' menu there are a couple of apps that you can lock out - 'Safari' and 'YouTube', for example and you can stop users making in-app purchases, deleting or installing apps and/or email accounts.

But a more generic locking of other third party apps is only possible if the app itself supports it - as some do, usually though for corporate security and not child access.

Some Forum members with similar problems have suggested 'hiding' the apps in question inside folders and placing them on a 'distant' Home screen with several blank screens in between but I suspect that most kids these days are savvy enough to work their way around that one!!

Tim