What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appleworks

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is probably a completely daft question, but is it possible, by jailbreaking, to get appleworks onto my Ipad. I have several files still in appleworks - it's mainly databases which are the real problem. I'd like to be able to put them on icloud, so I can at least access them while I'm away or out. I can get them on icloud, but I can't access them on my ipad, as there's nothing which will open them. So will I be able to get it onto the ipad, via my big mac, or even a download, if I can find one?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Numbers from the app store will sync with iCloud and all your spreadsheets will be available anywhere there is Internet.
But, if the spreadsheet is very large, the iPad will have trouble processing it. I would give it a try anyway though.

And this is available without a jailbreak.

OP
W

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I know that, but it's he databases that are the problem, not spreadsheets and word processing.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the apple support forum:

"Flashymcbashee wrote:
Thanks, but in that case, how do I get my database file onto my ipad?"

Like this;
Select all of your database.
Copy.
Open a new AppleWorks Spreadsheet. Click on cell A1.
Paste.
Save the file.
Open the file in Numbers (on the iPad, if possible, otherwise on a Mac, then continue to step 7)
Save the Numbers file in a place where you can access it from the iPad.
Open the file in Numbers on the iPad.

I would post the link but that's against the rules. :)

OP
W

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But doesn't this just convert it into a spreadsheet? How can I gat it back onto the mac as a database? I need to do all sorts of database things with it - searches, sorting, printing different layouts etc. Converting it to a spreadsheet won't do it.

Kilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FileMaker or Bento

I'm pretty sure you will need to convert your AppleWorks database to a more modern format. If I remember correctly, it is possible to convert to FileMaker pro with very little effort (I haven't touched an AW db in years.) However, as simple as AppleWorks databases are, you could probably export to Excel and have FileMaker recreate the database from that file. Then you could use FileMaker Go! to access the data on your iPad.

If that combo is too pricey, look at Bento - it also runs on both the Mac and iOS.

Most reactions

Latest posts