What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple's wireless keyboard

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am experiencing a kind of writer's mini-nirvana. Yesterday the Big Brown Truck brought me my Apple wireless keyboard. Setting it up was so simple and fast that there was really nothing to it. I was typing with it within two minutes of unwrapping it.

What a gem. The keyboard is fast, accurate, and just sensitive enough, unlike the adequate but somewhat hinky virtual keyboard on the iPad. If anything, it's better that the keyboard on my MacBook— although they are basically identical the action seems better on the wireless.

So far I have used it in several different work environments and with the iPad either close up a la laptop, or further away in "remote input" mode. I never learned to touch type, and usually watch the keyboard when I type. But I'm a fast puncher, working at 60-80 or so WPM. Outside on the deck I can put the iPad on a stand on a table about three feet from my comfy chair, put the keyboard on my lap and flail away. Last night I worked for a while in bed with the iPad lying next to me on a pillow and the keyboard on my lap.

I'm very pleased with this keyboard. In my opinion, based on my experience so far, anyone who uses the iPad as a writer's tool should definitely consider this great tool.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I prefer writing on my iPad now to my laptop.... I have several active book projects, all with me now for whenever I'm inspired to write, and the keyboard is never far away.

-t

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Apple Wireless keyboard as well and in combination with the Incase Origami Workstation (a combo keyboard case/iPad stand) the overall configuration is a great traveling companion, especially on a cramped airline table in coach.

I prefer it to iPad case/keyboard combinations for several reasons including the ability to separate the keyboard from the iPad (as you mentioned.) In addition, the keyboard is significantly wider than the keyboards in iPad case/keyboard combo cases (e.g. Zaggmate) making typing far faster and easier.

I also use a Microsoft 6000 bluetooth travel keyboard with the iPad. It's significantly less expensive than the Apple, has better ergonomics (curved), and slightly larger but still easy to pack since it's flat rather than raised. It also includes a separate bluetooth 10 key number pad for about $45 from Amazon ($30 without the number pad.) Unfortunately, it does not work with the Origami Workstation which is why I have two keyboards. For the money, though, I'd recommend the Microsoft keyboard over the Apple if the use with the Origami Workstation is not an issue.

Either is a very good choice if you're looking for a replacement for the on-screen iPad keyboard.

P.S. Waterfield Design (Need a case or bag for your laptop, tablet, mobile device, or gadget? We've got you covered - WaterField Design - Made in USA) makes a couple of great bags designed to hold both the Apple Wireless keyboard and the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
Plainsman

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Waterfield bags. Looks like a great source.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Waterfield bags. Looks like a great source.

They are. Their products aren't inexpensive but they wear like iron. I've had several of their bags for years and they outlast two or three of various less expensive competitors. In addition, their products are designed AND manufactured in San Francisco. Customer service is sterling. In fact, I can't recall EVER reading a complaint about their products or service on the net.

I have the "Travel Express" case. It holds my iPad, the Origami Workstation and Apple Wireless keyboard and various accessories in a compact, extremely durable case. The iPad Wallet has a dedicated interior sleeve for the Apple keyboard as well as an outside pocket. And they make a standalone sleeve for the Apple keyboard, as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions