What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AppleCare Worth Getting?

Klew721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I just got an iPad Air today at BestBuy (closest store to me). My question is, do I get the Apple Care for it from Apple?

I know Apple modified their Apple Care a little bIt (for iPhone, not sure about iPads).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum! Well, it's like insurance, i.e. you likely will never need it but have the assurance that it is there if you do - so a very personal decision that you'll have to decide yourself - for me, I have an iMac, MBPro, and two iPads and have Apple Care on all of them - now, this is an oft asked question here and many feel the opposite - HERE are the facts - up to you. Dave

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Giradman-for me it gives me a good sense knowing I have the AppleCare, especially for the cost of the device. I also have Apple care on my iPad, my Mac Book and also on my husband's iPad Air. It's a lot to shell out but I feel much better knowing I have it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The two accident replacements for $50 did it for me. Mobile devices are just too fragile. There are other insurance providers for this, but they don't include the extended hardware warrantee and 2 years of free Apple Tech Support.

I've come close, but not needed, the accident insurance so far. I have used the Tech Support once, which was probably worth about half the cost of AppleCare right there.

Anyway, I find that the main difference is that when I drop something I've gone from feeling "NO! NO! NO!. . ." to "no, no no. . .". Even if I never break an iPad or iPhone, that alone is worth $100 over two years.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is the first time I purchased it for my new iPad Air. I paid a good buck for the Air and it does have some new hardware in there so that factored into the decision. Each person has to assess their usage habits and tolerance for risk but the $100 bucks was well spent IMO.

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twice in my life, of all the extended warranties I've purchased, they paid off.

Nearly two years into my MacBook Pro, a couple keys popped off the keyboard. The Apple store kept it for a few days and replaced the keyboard assembly. $287 repair cost me nothing.

When I bought a Zumo for my motorcycle, I got a 450 on clearance as they were being discontinued. I paid for the protection plan since it was only $29.95. Very good money spent! Nearly 2 months before the 3 year period expired, one of the rubber buttons came off. Sent it in and they could not fix it, or replace it because the 450's were long gone. They sent me a brand new 550, (upgrade) model with XM/Sirius, spoken street names, Bluetooth, new maps.....FREE!

Only you can decide if the gamble is worth it. You might get a serious return on investment... It might just be money spent for peace of mind.

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just received my ipad air 128gb and I will be adding applecare next month.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have just received my ipad air 128gb and I will be adding applecare next month.

AppleCare must be purchased within a limited time of the iPad's purchase. If it is not purchased with the iPad or quickly afterwards you may need to bring it in for inspection first. Check on your options before you wait a month.

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I just got an iPad Air today at BestBuy (closest store to me). My question is, do I get the Apple Care for it from Apple? I know Apple modified their Apple Care a little bIt (for iPhone, not sure about iPads).

After my first year, my iPad 3 had a problem. 1/3 of the right side of my screen would dim after 20-30 minutes on. Walk in to Apple, walked out with a new iPad, less than 15 minutes. bTW, call and get appointment. You print the appointment, hand it to a service agent, avoid waiting in line. I am lucky that I live within 10 miles of an Apple Store. Great to visit and play with all their products.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you get the Apple Store app you can make your appointment and check in using your iPhone or iPad, assuming it works, of course.

Most reactions

Latest posts