What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applecare plus versus Squaretrade

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ThePhotog said:
I did Apple Care and Square Deal on both of our new iPads

What's the benefit for using both Square trad and AppleCare?

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Googled ripoff report and read that Squaretrade will provide a refurbished iPad that's not refurbished by Apple but by a third party. I think I'll go with AppleCare+

Beachgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleCare for sure, why would you go with best buy who may bankrupt soon or the other one that is very small unknown company to save few dollars !!!!
Apple has billions in cash, it's no brainier to go with them

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have square trade..so I have no IDea what apple plus even is lol

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
poppap said:
Apparently if you buy the Tablet warranty from Amazon.com there is no deductible. ($49 if you buy iPad warranty directly from SquareTrade)
Amazon.com: squaretrade

This is the one I bought as I got the 64GB+4G new iPad
Amazon.com: SquareTrade 3-Year Tablet Accidental Protection Warranty ($800-900): Computers & Accessories

There is a $49 deductible from both Amazon and Squaretrade and even AppleCare+
You could have saved $10 if you bought directly from Squaretrade with the coupons floating around the web.

I was set to purchase the Squaretrade warranty but heard they fix or refurb through a third party, not Apple. That was enough to send me back to Apple for the extra $20

bubbaba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with AppleCare. Don't have to mail anything in. Apple is easy to deal with. And I did not like that square trade decreases your value with each repair. 99 is not too much for two years of complete protection. Wish they had the plus for the iPhone 4.

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with AppleCare. Don't have to mail anything in. Apple is easy to deal with. And I did not like that square trade decreases your value with each repair. 99 is not too much for two years of complete protection. Wish they had the plus for the iPhone 4.
They do have applecare+ for Iphone, I have it on my I4s and my ladies I4. You have to buy the plan same time as you buy the phone.
Same price and same coverage.

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe one of the advantages of Square Trade is that it covers damage including dropping, water damage, etc. those are things Apple doesn't cover. Actually I purchased with Amex but still got the Square Trade plan.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
Actually, AppleCare+ DOES cove damage, whether from dropping, water etc. Originally AppleCare did not cover those items, but they came out with AppleCare+which, but this is only available for the iPhone 4GS and The New iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of misinformation on this thread. This is what Apple says:

iPad - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)

From that link:

Every iPad comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPad gives you two years of repair coverage and technical support from the original purchase date of your iPad. And it adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling of your iPad, each subject to a $49 service fee.

How to get AppleCare+

You must buy AppleCare+ within 30 days of your iPad purchase.
There are three ways to buy:
From the Apple Online Store: When you order the new iPad or iPad 2, you’ll have the option to add AppleCare+ to your cart before you check out.
At an Apple Retail Store (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPad, and proof of purchase).
By calling 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase).

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Lots of misinformation on this thread. This is what Apple says:

iPad - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)

From that link:

Every iPad comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPad gives you two years of repair coverage and technical support from the original purchase date of your iPad. And it adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling of your iPad, each subject to a $49 service fee.

How to get AppleCare+

You must buy AppleCare+ within 30 days of your iPad purchase.
There are three ways to buy:
From the Apple Online Store: When you order the new iPad or iPad 2, you’ll have the option to add AppleCare+ to your cart before you check out.
At an Apple Retail Store (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPad, and proof of purchase).
By calling 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase).

I went through the process. I preordered and even though I haven't received my iPad yet, they couldn't add AppleCare+. My only option once I received it was to go to the Apple store and have a genius look it over.

I tried calling the number above but still had to go to a Apple store.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went through the process. I preordered and even though I haven't received my iPad yet, they couldn't add AppleCare+. My only option once I received it was to go to the Apple store and have a genius look it over.

I tried calling the number above but still had to go to a Apple store.

Sounds like you have to buy the AC at time of order or add later at an Apple store, so if you pre-ordered an iPad without it, you can't call after to add AC. Is that what you're saying? Maybe the prob is that your iPad is in delivery mode.

Last edited:
OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I thought since it was in the process of being delivered, Apple could place or add AppleCare to my order since they could look up my order and see it wasn't delivered. There was 3 options with a number listed and I thought I could add it by calling. Bottom line is I had bring it to Apple to have it inspected to get AppleCare.

Last edited:

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I buy my iPad with my American Express card, is there any reason I really need additional insurance? Amex will extend my original warranty for a year--which I assume means it will cover everything that Apple covers. Isn't that true?

OP
J

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amex might extend the initial warranty, but won't cover damages if you drop it and break it like apple care+

Most reactions

Latest posts