What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple’s New Lightning Connector Will Not Work With All Accessories Even With Adaptor

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
7837-iphone-5-dock-connector.JPG

Apple proudly introduced its new Lightning dock connector yesterday, with the iPhone 5, iPod touch and iPod nano being the first devices to be fitted with the connector. Although the new connector will only be compatible with new accessories made especially for it (and currently only made in-house by Apple), it was thought that the new adaptors that would also be on sale would solve the problem for anyone who wanted to use their new device with old equipment. Now though, What HiFi? says that even the new, costly adaptor might not solve the problem, as the new Lightning connector is not compatible with all old devices, mainly because it does not output an analogue signal, meaning that any equipment that requires an analogue audio signal (i.e. lots of equipment!) will not work with the connector. In fact it even says on Apple’s own site that “some 30-pin accessories are not supported.†Apple has apparently told What HiFi? that the connector should work fine with current docks, but they have yet to confirm this is the case. Apparently other tech websites are also convinced that the Lightning connector will not output an analogue audio signal.

Source: iPhone 5 and iPods won't work with some existing kit

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes, in order to move forward, you have to break with the past. It can be painful.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes, in order to move forward, you have to break with the past. It can be painful.

There might be an upside for those who want to cling faithfully to the past: Maybe all the old accessories will go on deep sale. There are plenty of 30-pin devices that will be usable for a long time to come, though they're being turned into relics, lol.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While there is some truth to what you say, this break is really not that painful.
The company just announced the EOL for the 3GS (although I think iOS 6 will still work) after 3 years. The phone itself will still be a serviceable device.
The 4 and 4S will still be serviceable for several years to come.
Those that wish to ride the cutting edge of the technology wave will go buy a new phone, test all the new periphs and post the results online so that in 3 months those that waited can make a decision based on that research. I think this is, as usual, a win-win.
In 1 - 1 1/2 years this will be a footnote in Wikipedia. Now it is fodder for the Apple haters.
Haters gonna hate, po-ta-toes gonna potate and Apple users are gonna be called fanboys...... But we will always have the coolest gadgets. :)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
as i posted in iphone forum when i ordered my iPhone 5 this morning the sales person told i needed one of these adaptors in order to charge my new phone in the car,this turns out not to be the case and i canceled it later,not very pleased at being given misleading information.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as i posted in iphone forum when i ordered my iPhone 5 this morning the sales person told i needed one of these adaptors in order to charge my new phone in the car,this turns out not to be the case and i canceled it later,not very pleased at being given misleading information.

Strange that an Apple rep could be so clueless. Common sense indicates that the adapter is meant to bridge old and new, not to charge a new device that already comes with the new charger for free.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange that an Apple rep could be so clueless. Common sense indicates that the adapter is meant to bridge old and new, not to charge a new device that already comes with the new charger for free.

Or did you order from a clueless reseller?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or did you order from a clueless reseller?
best of it is i had to phone Apple back to reorder my phone because of an error at the bank and the second sales person i spoke to also thought i should have one.....unbelievable eh!....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
best of it is i had to phone Apple back to reorder my phone because of an error at the bank and the second sales person i spoke to also thought i should have one.....unbelievable eh!....

Geez. Training (and logic) apparently in short supply.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Geez. Training (and logic) apparently in short supply.
thing is i'm thinking....i should have known that but you tend to believe what the "experts" tell you when something has been changed.

Most reactions

Latest posts