What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple’s new 3D flyover feature to surpass Google Street View quality

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
3dMaps1-083012.jpeg

With iOS 6, Apple is finally going to bring out its native mapping app and judging by the screenshots we’ve been seeing so far Google Maps doesn’t stand a chance. It looks like Cupertino has been massively integrating 3D imaging technology thus ensuring that Google’s StreetView will be fully and successfully replaced.

Apple’s incredible 3D maps display brings forth the “Flyoverâ€, a feature that shows users their route from the point of view of an airplane. Even if StreetView enables a view from the ground level, the Apple version is said to be more continuous, while allowing users to actually behold individual streets.

More importantly, the Apple Map app allows users to look at buildings and streets without the annoying overlap of the intensive graphics of the aerial photograph over the 3D model. The transition between the two modes can easily be achieved thanks to a built-in button within the application. Now with Apple being ready to unleash its own map app upon the world.

By Radu

Source: Apple's iOS 6 3D Flyovers aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't need flyover, but I do use streetview. It comes in handy when trying to find things in unfamiliar cities, for instance. When I'm driving or walking, I can see the streetview of buildings, not the flyover view, lol.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow...I get to "behold" something.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow...I get to "behold" something.

Lol. PR style is over the top. Tries to club you over the head with what's new and amazing. Users usually can figure out for themselves what's useful, though. No need to pimp a product unless in PR.

Alan Tsui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This would be great if I were Superman. However, since I lack the power of flight, I am afraid that I will have to stick with street view even if it is of lesser quality.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
goofy8275 said:
I'm excited about the 3D flyovers!

Goofy, here's a screenshot of a flyover scene from Apple maps. I think it looks pretty good.

image-565663870.jpg

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not half bad, sci

Can you try something a bit more down-to-earth, no pun intended. How about the AB-SK border at Lloydminster? Those red poles should stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

Most reactions