Apple’s 2012 Profits Dwarf Those of All its Major Competitors Combined

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    [​IMG]

Android Authority today features an interesting article looking at Apple’s profit for the fiscal year 2012 and putting the bold facts and figures into context. They also have a great graphic, which really helps to show you the context behind the figures as well. As Android Authority notes, Apple’s fiscal year results show a record profit of $41.7 billion on $156.5 billion revenue. The chart that Android Authority uses comes courtesy of Statista, and shows just how far Apple is ahead of the competition. For example, just behind Apple, we have the combined totals of Microsoft, Google, ebay, Yahoo, Facebook, and amazon, which together amount to $34.4 billion in profit over the past four fiscal quarters. So to put that plainly, even all those giant companies together, massive brands all of them, still fall far short of Apple’s total. The likes of Disney and TimeWarner are even further behind, and Apple’s smartphone rivals are languishing at the very bottom, with Samsung, Nokia, HTC and RIM combined only managing $12.8 billion between them.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/app...-microsoft-facebook-yahoo-amazon-ebay-134428/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Gosh, I didn't realize it was that bad.....no wonder all these companies are hatin on Apple (and they deserve some of it).

But....Apple gets the important stuff right most of the time....more than anyone else, they are the quintessential capitalists. :)

I thought Samsung was way higher than what that chart shows, too.
  3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    pretty amazing isn't it.
  4. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 1
    Even Disney is below Apple!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215 / 1
    I think a lot of this is due to iDevice quality and the fact that companies see said quality - one company recently bought $80k worth of iPads. And government agencies are switching from Blackberry to Apple products.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Drew wal

Drew wal iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0
    That info graph is really quite astounding , I knew apple had cash , but that much !!!!!

Feel a little smug somehow to see samsung et al sitting at the bottom .

Credit due to Apple , with Steve bringing the company pretty much back from extinction like the Phoenix , and now that birds flying let's hope Tim can maintain its trajectory .

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5using iPF
    • Like Like x 1
  7. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    That could change with the new Star Wars movies and their quality stuff with their Marvel superhero movies.

They have 2 big franchises at their disposal so I see them in the next few years gaining momentum.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0
    A lot of this is simply the fact that they do charge a lot for their stuff. It's usually good stuff and I love my iPad 2 but on a product by product basis, apple charges a lot. Hence, huge profits. Al that cheap labor helps too. I know, I know, lots of companies make their stuff overseas. But, that's what's supposed to keep prices down. Those low labor costs don't seem to be making back to the consumer but it is what it is.
  9. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    You know how silly this argument is?

Apple is profitable because they sell products that people want at a price they are more than willing to pay.

If anyone could make a profit just by raising prices, you can bet everything would cost more...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +901 / 1
    That is absolutely right. Any year 1 economics student has learned about Elasticity of Demand. That is, at the margin, units of price will increase up to the point of equilibrium where demand equals supply. After that, demand will decrease with price increases.

It is obvious that Apple products have had a high elasticity of demand. People have been happy to pay the requested prices, SO FAR
    There are rumblings in the air about that demand starting to decrease.
    Regards, Andrew
  11. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I'm always happy to pay less! :)
  12. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +901 / 1
    Who knows? With your next iPad you may be able to.
  13. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Apple does make very good products; however, I do hate the cheap labor part. Those people suffer so we can have our toys. They would probably be even more expensive if there wasn't any cheap labor.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
  14. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I doubt it. The model Apple is using works. The model the others are using doesn't, IMO. Sort of what this thread is saying. Selling a tablet at $200 and making zero profit is not a strategy that keeps people employed, or encourages app development. I bought my first Android tablet shortly after I got my first iPad (the iPad 2), yet the Android apps for tablets has barely increased, yet Apple has some 275,000+ apps for iPad. Me, I buy tablets to run apps...the more the better.
  15. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0
    Right, but comparing their stuff to other similar products costs does show that they are more expensive. Charging more does equal a profit gain, at least it would appear to. I'm not arguing with their business model or anything. It's just that, well, we are often told that without cheap labor that these companies would all dissolve within a few months. Sometimes, and it's not just apple, it seems that these low labor costs and savings aren't being passed onto consumers. People are buying, so that's what matters. This is probably a discussion for another thread or time. My issue is more with dirt cheap labor and people being treated like crap. No worries.
  16. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    No one working on Apple products at Foxconn in China is suffering. They are earning much more than any other job they can get, being fed better meals than they would at home, and living in very nice dormitories.

There are thousands lining up for hundreds of jobs every time there is an opening.
  17. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    The workers at Foxconn are not being treated like crap. You would do well to educate yourself on their working conditions and on the other options they have before casting western judgement on what is to you a very foreign environment.

I live in Asia and have been in several Foxconn facilities. They rival anything it the US for unskilled labor.
  18. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0
    Wasn't there just a big issue there that made the news with some suicides and other things going on? The articles can be dug up. I'm not making this stuff up. The point is that some of the profitability comes from the lowest common denominator labor costs. I dunno. It is what it is. That's why they chose to make the stuff there. That's why lots of companies make stuff there. They can pay people much less.
  19. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    Foxconn is a supplier to Apple. They bid, they get the contract and they build where they choose to. I wonder why it's alway Foxconn who get the bad press. Could it be because they are identified closely with Apple? Samsung also supply Apple. I don't recall ever reading a single post concerning the welfare of Samsung workers, or the workers of Samsung's suppliers. Perhaps they are all located in the USA, working for $75 per hour? I'll have to do some checking up.

Incidentally, I've worked in some "cheap labor" countries. One thing always stood out. There was always a lineup of people outside the factory hopeful of scoring a job.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
  20. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215 / 1
    Here you go:
    http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...r-employs-child-workers-labor-group-says.html
    (Samsung Employs Child Labor)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.