What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Wireless Keyboard will not type on iPad 2 after being paired and connected

keitacannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've tried do do some extensive searching in the forums before posting this question but have not run across my specific issue. I purchased a new Apple Wireless Keyboard to use with my non-jailbroken iPad 2 (16GB; 3G). While I have no trouble pairing and supposedly connecting the keyboard to the iPad 2, after a few keystrokes, the keyboard just refuses to work. When I head back to Settings-General-Bluetooth, the keyboard still reads as "connected" but refuses to work in any application. I have re-paired multiple times, used fresh batteries on 4 different occasions, rebooted the iPad 2 (I'm a PC sucker so there is no chance of the keyboard being paired with a Mac) and just today, I went back to Best Buy and they let me get a brand new keyboard. But, still same old problems! :) Any assistance getting this thing up and running is appreciated. Oh - I have seen folks ask about the model as well - I have an aluminum one - Model A1314. Thanks again!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given what you've said, you almost certainly have a hardware issue in your iPad's bluetooth radio. (There is a very unlikely chance that if you have not updated your OS to iOS 5 or later that may be causing the problem, but even if you haven't I doubt that's the problem.) You might also examine your overall environment. It's possible (but very unlikely) that the iPad is trying to pair with another bluetooth keyboard in your immediate environment. (It cannot connect to two keyboards simultaneously. But I have a bluetooth keyboard paired with my laptop sitting next to my Apple Wireless Keyboard paired with my iPad sitting next to one another and have no problem.)

So, bottom line, I think you have a faulty bluetooth radio in your iPad.

OP
K

keitacannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drats - that isn't a good sign. I've connected the keyboard to my iPhone 4 and it works without a hitch. I received the iPad 2 as a Christmas gift (not sure where my girlfriend got it from - Apple or Best Buy). Hopefully the Apple Store folks will have pity upon me and give me an exchange! :) Thanks for the response jsh1120; I do appreciate it!

OP
K

keitacannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh - one more thing jsh1120 - I did try some independent testing of the bluetooth radio. I have a Motorola ROKR headset that seems to pair without issue to my iPad 2. Is it possible for the bluetooth radio only to be faulty with the wireless keyboard? Thanks in advance!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh - one more thing jsh1120 - I did try some independent testing of the bluetooth radio. I have a Motorola ROKR headset that seems to pair without issue to my iPad 2. Is it possible for the bluetooth radio only to be faulty with the wireless keyboard? Thanks in advance!

We've just exceeded my expertise with your question. But I have a feeling the answer is yes. Just guessing but I suspect that the difference between the headset and the keyboard may lie in the continuous data stream being sent from the former versus the sleep/wake up functionality of the keyboard. The keyboard goes to sleep if you're not using it and must wake up again to re-establish contact. You don't have to pair it again, obviously, but a bluetooth keyboard typically has a slight delay when you begin typing after not doing so for awhile. Again, just guessing, but I suspect you might be having problem with that wakeup functionality.

P.S. Since much of what I'm saying is pure guesswork, I'd be interested in hearing the resolution of your problem. And by the way, regardless of where you gf purchased your iPad, this problem should be covered with your warranty from Apple. You can take it to an Apple store and they should respond.

Last edited:
OP
K

keitacannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful; you have provided a ton of great information. I will be sure to post back after I get the issue resolved (even if it happens to be a new iPad 2)! Thanks again!

OP
K

keitacannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi jsh1120! You were correct - it was something with the actual Bluetooth radio. I called Apple Support (which was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they answered and assisted me based on some of the horror stories I have read on different forums). The initial call was to "reset all network connections" (failed) then when I got home I did a full restore of the iPad 2 (still didn't work). They set up an appointment for me at my Apple Store for the next morning, the Genius ran a diagnostic test, saw that the Bluetooth was crashing, asked if he could do a different restore than I had already done, thought the problem was fixed and when he called me over to check the iPad, same issue. He was stumped and went ahead and ordered me a new iPad 2. I must say - I have found Apple's service from start to finish to be some of the best I've experienced. Strange hearing all of these negative stories. Have a great day and thanks for helping me!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very good news. It's always gratifying to find one guesses right, even when it's the luck of the draw. As far as Apple support is concerned, there is a reason that Apple consistently emerges as having the best customer service in the industry. As you discovered, as long as your iPad was purchased legitimately from an authorized dealer (whether Apple or not), Apple covers their products.

As far as horror stories are concerned, it's always important to remember that people are far more motivated to report bad experiences than good ones. And with any vendor it helps not to begin a customer support experience by trashing the product you're having trouble with. Customer support folks are always more motivated to help a user who doesn't begin a conversation by insulting the product they support or the firm they work for.

There are some disadvantages in Apple's tightly closed ecosystem and integration with their own hardware. But for the average consumer there are some major advantages, as well. Unlike most companies, Apple is far less likely to point a finger at another vendor when problems emerge.

Happy to hear you had a good experience. And as far as my minimal assistance is concerned, just pay it forward to someone else that needs help.

Most reactions

Latest posts