What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Tv?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what exactly is a apple tv? jus opened my email from apple showing there products and i seen a little black box called apple tv....the whole time ive been thinking they actually have a big tv everytime ive heard of it. so it is a tv or a little wifi box and what can you do with it and your ipad?

thanks!

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a little wifi type box that connects to your TV or receiver via HDMI and/or optical cable and plays your iTunes library wether it be audio or video. You can also play or rent movies or TV episodes via Apple or Netflix. It tops out at 720p but works rather well for 99 dollars.

Oh and you can download the free remote app for your iPad or iPhone and control it from them.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sweet, so any videos you put it your videos folder? and i realize the netflix app, but u said via apple? where do the tv shows comes from? like the abc app or what?

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use my Netflix account but you can "rent" them from Apple or iTunes as well. Also it has You Tube. It's pretty well thought out. I like playing my music through my receiver and that's what I mostly use it for. With the Apple TV I don't have wires all over the place.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does the ipad come invloved any? i guess to show videos u have on there and pics right, and music?

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does the ipad come invloved any? i guess to show videos u have on there and pics right, and music?

The only reason the iPad is involved is if you have the remote control downloaded so that you can control the Apple TV

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I purchased it mainly for AirPlay and I have been quite disappointed so far.

AirPlay Video is only available on apps the support streaming to it, not very many do at the moment.

I have also tried to use AirPlay Audio from the iPad IPod app via the optical output to my amplifier and that seems to be quite unpredictable.

That one thing that does seem to work as I expected is viewing photos via AirPlay but not videos (who knows why).

You can rent movies, view YouTube etc but there are lots of other ways ton that.

So far, I am not especially impressed by ATV2.

Last edited:

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set mine up last night. I got everything working including Netflix and streaming videos from my laptop to ATV, and even controlling my laptop Itunes from my Ipad via Remote. I had found that when I tried to stream videos on my Ipad to ATV, it would only give audio. I found in the settings menu that there was an update. I ran the update and now I can stream video and audio direct from Ipad. I am quite pleased with the ATV to say the least!

I also like that I can actually control the ATV via Remote from my Ipad or Ipod instead of using the remote that came with it.

I have no need for the optical out, so I have not tried it. My Airport Express takes care of the audio.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up ATV G2 for Christmas. While I have been happy with it, it is a bit of a bummer that it doesn't work for video via safari...But, I just found an app browser called Webout that does the trick. $0.99 is worth it!

Most reactions