What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV vs. PC Connected to TV

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have your PC connected to your TV, you can watch DVDs, all downloadable media file formats, record from your video subscription service (Satellite or Cable), use all of the Streaming Services (Netfilx, Hulu) including iTunes.

So what is the big advantage of Apple TV?

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the usb set up to watch tv on my desktop ..i use a dvr cable box to record my shows and play them at a later time when i can sit down and watch them .. i love the fact that i can fast forward through the crap stuff between the shows ..

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The interface.

Using a PC on a TV as a PC is a horrible clunky experience in my opinion. Windows Media Centre was going in the right direction but wasn't ideal for various reasons. AppleTV isn't right for everyone, but it's right for me - iTunes on my TV, and it looks pretty doing it. Easy.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The interface.

Using a PC on a TV as a PC is a horrible clunky experience in my opinion. Windows Media Centre was going in the right direction but wasn't ideal for various reasons. AppleTV isn't right for everyone, but it's right for me - iTunes on my TV, and it looks pretty doing it. Easy.

I have my PC connected to my HDTV with an HDMI cable. The PC contains a NVIDIA graphics adapter. The pictures are perfect when playing a HD video file. I've seen the Apple TV, it is good if the source file is perfect. But are no where near as good as my PC setup with imperfect files because I can correct for shortcomings in the source files.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But are no where near as good as my PC setup with imperfect files because I can correct for shortcomings in the source files.

:confused:

You can't improve a digital file - if its junk it's junk. That long list of 1's and 0's is the same data whatever you run it through, while poor hardware can make it worse, you can never make it better - all you'll do is have a more accurate reproduction of the rubbish file you started with in the first place; it might do the hardware version of airbrushing to make it more acceptable, but it will still be junk. Alternatively, do a good quality DVD rip (of your own DVD's) or legal download and it'll look great through an AppleTV.

Additionally, I don't believe legal digital media should be 'imperfect'. *ahem*.

The PS3, XBox360, WD HD player, AppleTV, depending on the format your media is in are all better than trying to use a regular PC or mac from your sofa - if you can't commit to one because you want to play dozens of different formats, i'd suggest you get a grip of your media library before you start worrying about how to get it onto your TV!

Last edited:

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pc wins this war.

Hulu? No need for media center. Netflix, no need for media center. iTunes. Run that on pc. Pictures, slideshow (I use ps3). Internet radio? Pandora.com.

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the apple tv and still have my pc hooked up on the tv via hdmi lol.... and yeh the picture quality is perfect from the pc but the apple tv does the same quality for the content i use... and yeh I can access hulu , netflix , YouTube , via the pc but I hate having a laptop in the living room... the other problem is using a mouse and a keyboard to make searches that's a ugly way if you ask me... the apple tv is a easier real small and I can use the remote app from my iphone4 or my iPad... way easier to make searches... the only real reason I keep the pc hooked to the tv is because I live and Canada and use a us account for netflix... and for that I need to use VPN....same for hulu... I have Canadian netflix account too but the catalogue is different... the day someone can implant a VPN client on the apple tv (via jailbreak) the laptop is out of the living room for good!!!

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But are no where near as good as my PC setup with imperfect files because I can correct for shortcomings in the source files.

:confused:

You can't improve a digital file - if its junk it's junk. That long list of 1's and 0's is the same data whatever you run it through, while poor hardware can make it worse, you can never make it better - !

If the file is "junk" I agree with you. But, the file can be improved if it is too dark/light, noise can be minimized, the file can be sharpened, gamma can be corrected, hue can be corrected etc etc. A lot of downloaded files can be improved so much that the become almost perfect when they were unwatchable in the raw state. For the price of Apple TV you can buy a good video adapter that will do a better job.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually a lot of DVD players now stream photos off sd cards or wifi..and pandora,netflix,hulu,ect...

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I can gather from the posts - Apple TV doesn't offer more content or better quality than a PC hooked up to a TV. The only upside for Apple TV is the remote control which is a trade off against the ability to play more formats of content on the PC.

Anyone else care to add anything?

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
From what I can gather from the posts - Apple TV doesn't offer more content or better quality than a PC hooked up to a TV. The only upside for Apple TV is the remote control which is a trade off against the ability to play more formats of content on the PC.

The physical wiring of the Apple TV compared to running the wiring from wherever the computer is that you are using is really one of the primary issues I have with setting up like that. And still price.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The physical wiring of the Apple TV compared to running the wiring from wherever the computer is that you are using is really one of the primary issues I have with setting up like that. And still price.

Power cable, hdmi and depending on setup audio cable (if you use hdmi for audio or not). Both devices use same amount of wires.. My setup I have optical out on my tv so hdmi in, sends audio to optical out for me.

Also computers can have remotes too.. Both my HP did (laptop and desktop)

..just saying. $275 for a good desktop only is good for me. Plenty of options for worth the price

Most reactions