1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Apple tv not full screen

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by sentinelace, Apr 6, 2013.

1. sentinelace

sentinelace iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I just got the gen 3 Apple TV. Is there something u am missing to get full 1080 and fill the screen?
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Some movies are 1080p and don't fill the screen. If your tv is 16:9 and the movie is formated like 2.35:1 or similiar, it won't fill the screen. There will be bars at the top and bottom. But if you play at 1080p movie that is formated 16:9, it will fill the screen when using the iPad and ATV3 together.
  3. sentinelace

sentinelace iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Right but my ipad in general doesn't fit the screen
  4. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    When you play a movie from the iPad to the Apple TV, it will fill the screen according to the movie's framing. If you just display the iPad on the screen of the TV using Apple TV, it won't fill the screen...this is called mirroring..and you get exactly what is on your iPad's screen on the TV. As soon as you play a movie, then the iPad goes into a different mode and fills the screen as much as possible.
  5. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 1
    You may be thinking of letter boxed movies, with the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. This is perfectly normal with widescreen movies displayed on a screen that doesn't have the same aspect ratio. The movie in these screenshots would be letterboxed, even on a widescreen TV.

image-3383068992.jpg if you fill the entire screen, you can lose up to 2/3 of the picture.

image-1158614516.jpg photo credit: Paramount
  6. Hans Remmerswaal

Hans Remmerswaal iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do understand that you can have black bars in case the iPad screen size doesn't match the one of your widescreen TV.
    What I do not understand is why I'm getting black bars left / right / above / below the iPad screen on my widescreen TV.

With mirroring I would expect to see only black bars left / right the mirrored screen...
    Just wonder if this problem is the Apple TV or my widescreen TV itself, although the Apple TV is detecting that the screen is 1920 x 1080 with a refresh rate of 60 Hz.
  7. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    If you are getting black bars on all four sides, check your TV. Look for a "Just scan" setting. It could be an apple TV problem if you didn't tell your apple TV what kind of screen you have, so check that too. When probably set up, when mirroring, the iPad will make a big rectangle on your TV screen that has the exact same shape as the iPad screen. If you play a movie, most of which are in wide screen format, it will properly fill the 16:9 screen of your TV (you could stll have bars on the top as that depends on the aspect ratio of the movie you are watching -- some do have bars, others don't, depending on how the movie was framed for release).