What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV Jailbreak?

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone JB an Apple TV? If so, what are the benefits? I'm looking to buy one soon, and considering this option but would like more feedback. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't have one so don't have any experience of jailbreaking the AppleTV.

I understand that the tool of choice for 4.3 based 2G models is Seas0nPass. You might want to do a little googling based on that...

OP
Anomalous

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I'm afraid I don't have one so don't have any experience of jailbreaking the AppleTV.

I understand that the tool of choice for 4.3 based 2G models is Seas0nPass. You might want to do a little googling based on that...

Okay, Thanks!

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The major (only?) advantage of jailbreaking the ATV is you can install XBMC on it, then it can playback almost all of your media without having to convert to itunes compatibility and also have direct access to your media instead of goiing thru itunes.

OP
Anomalous

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DefBref said:
The major (only?) advantage of jailbreaking the ATV is you can install XBMC on it, then it can playback almost all of your media without having to convert to itunes compatibility and also have direct access to your media instead of goiing thru itunes.

Ahh, cool! That's reason enough for me. Thanks for the info. I knew you guys would give me some things to search for.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So you don't have to go through iTunes at all? XBMC is only for JB, right? I am getting the Apple Tv soon.:)

Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Right I knew that....but DUMI, the only purpose for XMBC is to avoid iTunes?

Not directly. XMBC is a media player. It let's you stream any movie directly to the Apple TV, so in effect, it not only let's you avoid iTunes, but it also let's you avoid converting the movies into an iTunes compatible video format. There is more to it though. XMBC can do anything, maybe too much...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Right I knew that....but DUMI, the only purpose for XMBC is to avoid iTunes?

Not directly. XMBC is a media player. It let's you stream any movie directly to the Apple TV, so in effect, it not only let's you avoid iTunes, but it also let's you avoid converting the movies into an iTunes compatible video format. There is more to it though. XMBC can do anything, maybe too much...

That's right! I remember now. Thank you!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anomalous said:
Anyone JB an Apple TV? If so, what are the benefits? I'm looking to buy one soon, and considering this option but would like more feedback. Thanks :)

The first generation AppleTV could actually run Mac OS X Tiger.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I have JB my Apple TV and it's great, any music or DVD I have stored on my PC is fully accessible through XMBC, and with my sonos speakers around the house I can wander through each room listening to the same tune with no delays!
The real beauty of it is that I have no DVD boxes or CD cases scattered around my house, and I can swap between hundreds of albums with just a click of a button!

Most reactions

Latest posts