What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV and iWork presentations

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anybody know how or if Apple plan to be able to play a iWorks presentation through Apple TV?

Makes sense to me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are talking about Keynote (iWorks) then it should already work.

I dont' have an Apple TV myself, but I do have the Reflector app that makes my iMac AirPlay compatible.

After you open Keynote, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get the Control Panel; then tap on AirPlay and select your Apple TV. Also turn on Mirroring.

At that point your iPad's screen should be duplicated on the Apple TV. When you Play the presentation you'll have some presentation option on the iPad wile the Apple TV will only show the current slide.

{my descriptions are based on iOS 7. If you are using an earlier version of iOS, the details may differ}

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As always you are absolutely right and if I spent ten minutes reading the instructions that came with the Box I needn't have wasted everyone's time. Thanks yet again.

I've not been on the App for ages so it took me a while to find out about the new look forum - I think it looks good.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Since I rarely read the box myself I'm not going to do any more than grin. And it's not waste of time as long as we all learn something. I did. :D

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TP have they done something or is it just yet another iOS 8 problem? Suddenly, haven't tried for ages mind, my apple tv will not let me play a Keynote Presentation on the screen?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know there have been problems with Apple TV and AirPlay since the iOS 8 update. All I can suggest is to make sure both the iPad and the Apple TV have the latest updates. You can also try restarting the iPad, Apple TV, and your router.

Good luck.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks TP albeit, I tried all of that - roll on iOS9 because for a lot of people (me anyway) iOS 8 is a disaster of epic proportions.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I donot understand why you are having so many issues. I use air play almost every day both to demonstrate how it works and also for personal sharing I have had users with problems and in most cases it was there wifi modem being ancient or just cheap. If the Apple TV has the latest updates and you have a late model wifi modem then you should not have issues. The update on the Apple TV is critical to work with the current iOS. I just tested keynote and it is fine so it's beyond me.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Apple Tv at home to stream Acorn.tv videos to the big screen and also to mirror my Keynote presentations works great. Does not work for streaming at our Senior Center which has a captive wifi network. I can mirror but because Apple TV has no browser, I cannot log the apple TV into the net. It does connect to the wifi so mirroring does work.

Why don't they include a basic browser? My Samsung smart tv has one!

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeh that helped col.bris.

Its me - I'm making it up - of course everything is updated, of course its just me being awkward. I'm obviously having these technical issues because, well; I just can't be........... that technically minded albeit; somehow everyday, I manage to strap a £48 million, 11 ton helicopter to my backside and manoeuvre it around the North Sea in abysmal weather conditions with several hundred passengers from oil rig to oil rig. Or its maybe, Apple are just being vindictive to poor little me.

I have been using these products for years - everything worked pretty well until iOS8 came along. Now everything is a struggle or it just doesn't work anymore - AS I SAID, in the vain hope someone might offer something constructive to help as TP and quite a few others always do.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What exactly are your problems? Why can't you play a keynote presentation on the screen? Are you able to connect your iPad to the Apple TV?

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you JA

OK - in the past, (but it has been a wee while)...... I pull up a presentation from any iWork App, on my pad. Then with the Apple TV box, on - which is - connected and tuned and incidentally, working for everything except an iWork presentation - to the HDMI screen. I scroll up from the bottom of the screen to get the 'AirPlay bit' and select the device (HDMI Screen or whatever else its been called) scroll up a bit more to be certain that 'Mirroring slide thing' is selected on (to the right (Green)) Usually at this point the pad screen is mirrored to the screen - it isn't!

I've reset everything, iPad, HDMI Screen, all the settings for Apple TV, in accordance with the Apple TV instructions and no presentation and no mirror! Checked everything for updates. More to the point I have to delay the 2 senior Type Rating Captains who have come a very long way to see a presentation because I can't get the presentation on the screen!!!!!! (Not that the last bit is anyone's fault but my own for presuming that something that once worked; still did).

I have solved the interim problem now (Smiley face) by showing the pres using my phone but I can't read my notes because the screen is too small!! So perhaps not a slick as I'd hoped. I can now sort this problem out in slow time with yet another visit to the Apple store in town.

Thank you so much for taking time to try and offer help as you always do.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the screen mirror everything else?

What happens when you enable AirPlay mirroring before you open app with the presentation?

I just tried mirroring a keynote presentation from my iPad to my TV, and it worked, so I can't reproduce your problem. Sorry!

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was in the Apple shop with some very pleasant young people and they cannot get it to work either so there is plenty of head scratching going on, sadly a couple of them, not the con-census believe its a known problem!

This is what the software analyser told them to do.

Try (!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't like that at all) the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.
  1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.
Yep they tried that - just like I did. Then they lost me with UDPs and TCPs then the Conference Room Display 'might be'!!!! (didn't think too much of that one either) try switching it 'on' if its 'off' or 'off' if its on and then back 'on'?

My point to them at this junction in time was - it worked before so what other than iOS8 seems to have stopped it working - Answer - Oh we think it must be a corrupt file - and? can you ensure its backed up to when you last made a change!! I haven't changed anything since the last update and its had more factory restores than I care to remember, can you leave it with us and we will get back to you! Oddly to my thinking they now seem to think the issue is with Bluetooth.

Most reactions

Latest posts