What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV 3 MD199LL/A

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am considering this device from Amazon, so I searched the forum, and google, for jailbreak info but not able to get anything relevant. Perhaps, I did not search it properly. Hope that I could get good directions here.

. What firmware version I could expect the the device from Amazon ? I also heard that Staple has the same deal.
. Can it be jailbroken ? On google, rev 3 is not jailbroken yet, except by commercial app, is that true ?
. If, and after it is jailbroken, could it stream avi or mkv formats ? Some google posts said that it could, but did not mention how and/or anything else needs be done.

I always like apple product, and love to have this toy to play with.

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the only AppleTVs that can be jail broken are the 2d or 1st generation ones; not the two third generation ones (the regular and the revision A version).

So, you'll have to get one of the older ones. And, I don't know if all software versions are jail breakable or if it's only certain ones (or whether you can install a jail breakable version on the device in order to jail break it).

We do have a link here that talks about jail breaking the AppleTV, 2d generation: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...tutorial-jailbreak-appletv-2g-seas0npass.html

That's all I've got - hopefully someone else can fill in more details (I don't jail break my Apple TV because I have the 3d generation, so I know nothing about it).

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To list the jailbreakable iOS (for the ATV2) from the beginning of time.

ATV OSiOS EquivalentJailbreakable?
6.0.27.0.4No
6.0.17.0.3No
6.07.0No
5.36.1.4Untethered
5.2.16.1.3Tethered
5.26.1Untethered
5.1.16.0.1Untethered
5.16.0Untethered
5.0.25.1.1r1Untethered
5.0.15.1.1Untethered
5.05.1Tethered
4.4.3/4.4.45.0.1Untethered
4.4.1/4.4.25.0Tethered
4.45.0Tethered
4.34.3Untethered
4.2.24.3Untethered
4.2.14.3Untethered
4.24.3Untethered
4.1.14.2.1Untethered
4.14.2.1Untethered
4.04.1Untethered

This is effective as of 01.04.14 with Seas0nPass. Some iOS can be jailbroken using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze as an alternative as well.

Edit: The reason that the ATV1 and 2 are jailbreakable and the ATV3 is not is because the ATV 1 and 2 have a bootrom level exploit (just like that of pre-A5 devices like the iPad 1, and iPhone 4 and older devices). Unfortunately, there isn't a method to jailbreak at a userland level like what Absinthe, Evasi0n, P0sxispwn and jailbreaks alike. The only method to jailbreak an Apple TV is to create a custom IPSW and restore using that custom IPSW.

Because you don't have a bootrom exploit, you can't install a custom IPSW. Will the ATV3 be jailbreakable in the future? Possibly. The difficulty is similar to that of A5+ devices, maybe even harder (not sure as I've never delved into the mechanics of an ATV jailbreak).

Last edited:
OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank You, Marilyn & willerz2, especially the jailbreakable iOS table.
Yours are the straightest & most beneficial answers to my need.
Thanks again,

Edit: Hello willerz2,

Thanks for the added explanation about the ATV3's bootrom level exploit. In short, the jailbreak process basically has two steps. Changing the IPSW (which is doable) and uploading/replacing to the idevice (which is device dependent). I now understand better about the claims that were made on many google searches. Thank You.

My interest is XBMC. I'd like to find a solution to reduce and/or eliminate cabletv cost, plus able to stream media from our server. There are many options, but I'd like to exploit ATV3 one. So, the search continues :eek:.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts