Apple to charge for iPad OS upgrades after one freebie

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by kheldour, Apr 17, 2010.

1. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Apple to Charge for iPad OS Upgrades After One Freebie

according to "wired.com" Apple will charge for OS updates after OS 4.0

2. brhon

brhon iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The major upgrade will be the one coming this fall. Besides that I am not opposed to paying 10.00 for a software upgrade. It is not much different than upgrading to Snow leopard for 29.00. With the cool new stuff in the fall upgrade I would have gladly paid for that one too.
  3. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    4.0 will be the last free one.
  4. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I also have no problem paying a reasonable fee for major upgrades. Heck, i'd pay $10 for 4.0.....

This assuming all maintenance upgrades remain free. I have no problem paying for things I want and use.
  5. Ghuda

Ghuda iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am fine with the upgrade fee so long as the improvements are commensurate with the amount.
  6. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Old news.
  7. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Personally I'm really surprised the first update is free. I had to pay for the first major update for my iPod Touch.
  8. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not opposed to dropping $10 for further upgrades beyond OS 4.0

We are iPad owners...that ten bucks represents a couple less apps a month and I'm covered. To think free upgrades were part or should be part of the deal seems a bit polyana.

Even software upgrades for desktops incur fees at some point.

The iPad is a sexy beast! Beauty has never in this life been cheap.
  9. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I spend $20 a week on apps....for a new OS...come on thats nothing.
  10. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +469 / 0
    I agree it's cheaper than lunch at macdonalds lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Max

Max iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0
    So bring on some new news! :)

Its an excellent topic and is worth hearing out, so play nice!
    :)
  12. mossman

mossman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm okay with paying a nominal fee for OS upgrades as long as it keeps my device relevant. What I really don't want is to pay a larger amount for a device that in two years will be worthless because my old device can't run the latest OS, and thus no one will make or maintain apps anymore. I expect my device to become a little more antiquated year after year as the latest models comes out -- I have no problem with that. But I want to be able to use this device five years from now. My biggest fear with this purchase is that in less than five years its functionality will be severely crippled. Time will tell. If this is treated more like a computer, I should be fine. If this is treated more like a phone, I'm in trouble.
  13. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    You raise a good question. I wager 2 to 3 years and this first gen ipad will be fine.... but 5 years, i doubt it. This is really a time of transition in the computing world. Most aren't aware of it, but the "traditional" box computer is fading, and new technologies (like the iPad) are the next wave. Your iPad will of course still work 5 years from now, but I doubt you will be able to run the latest OS and applications on it. They are going to improve the device, and the hardware and software of today will be improved. At some point it will be counter-productive to keep adapting everything to work on a legacy device.....

All the above of course is just my opinion.... I have been wrong before :)
  14. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    If there is anyone who thinks that a $10 upgrade fee is a bad thing, compare that with how much a battery replacement will cost when you get to needing OS 5.0. We are talking disposable technology. It comes with a price. And nothing is new under the sun. A hundred and fifty years ago, disposable technology was a horse. You buy one, take care of it, spend money on accessories, and then it runs out of juice and you have to get a new model.
  15. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    @ Bremen
    you are absolutely right !

@all
    as a mac user (with interruptions) since 1998 I know, that most of the 3-5 year old macs can use the latest MacOS and typically run faster, than on the old OS. I have friends, who have 3 year old iMacs (the 1st white intel model) and still can run the most recent games at a decent frame rate. Don't even think of trying with a three year old PC without upgrading at least the graphics.....

And Apple typically publishes a major OS upgrade every 12-18 months, which costs around $50-$150. Microsoft does that too and their charges are at least $100 and they have many, many versions, where the complete OS costs you more than $250.......with a much more disposable hardware.

Apple's iPad is a mobile computer and one of the next generation. I don't get the point, why people complain, that they are expecting a new version of the iPad OS next year and this would be too costly.

Come on folks, nobody complains about the always and even faster changing mobile phone generations.....and in comparison, what these devices can do, they are even more expensive.

Yes, at the minute the iPad is an expensive gadget for us early adopters. But it will be commodity within the next 12 months. The iPad is just the beginning and other iPad devices will follow.

If you want to be part of that early adopter phase, then there is always an uplift on the price tag. The iPad is cool and it will change the world of our computer life and the way how we look at and use computers. And because we want to be part of that first experience, we all are willing to spend these extra dollars.

So - to cut the story short - stop moaning about upgrade fees of $10. Because YOU WILL BUY the next generation of the iPad in the minute Apple announces it - and this will be definitely for more than $10.......

:cool:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  16. brhon

brhon iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This device is not a 5 year life cycle. We will see vast improvements in the coming iPad gens. The 10.00 is a non issue. I will likely want the next gen unit when it ships especially of we see some great improvements.
  17. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am very sure, that the next gen iPad will be a hitter again. This generation iPad is a pilot. Apple is checking the market. I feel very much remembered to the old Newton device. For those, who don't know it, Apple had a PDA-device in the late 80's with an excellent handwriting recognition. Especially the Newton 2000 was my favorite.

[​IMG]
    Apple Newton Messagepad (1.Gen)

[​IMG]
    Apple Newton 120/130 (2.Gen)

[​IMG]
    Apple Newton 2000/2100/3000 (3. and final Generation)

The Apple Newton was way too early for the market. That's why Steve Jobs's first action, when he rejoined Apple, was to cancel the Newton.

Sadly, but economically understandable.

The iPad is a total difference and will succeed.
  18. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +469 / 0
    3 years is normal then pass it on to the kids or family Used by date with Apple and Windows computers is now 3 months yes 3 months That means if you purchase a computer model from a retailer it is out dated in 3 months by a new model approx every 6 months a change is made on design some times 12 months Iphones, Ipods, Macbook etc so to look at this with the ipad within 3 years it will be lighter as battery technology will be better it will be much faster and more powerful than you ever will dream about and most likely it will be your main computer 80% of the time Thats technology for you
    Colin Down under -
  19. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +469 / 0

Absolutely spot on "The iPad is a total difference and will succeed"
  20. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I forgot newton was called messagepad, I guess iPad was an inevitable name.