What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Store shipping question

richmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a silly question...I've purchased an iPad Mini from the Apple Store. Looks like its coming via UPS from China. My question is: does the shipping box have any indication that there is an Apple product inside, or even an Apple return address. This will be a family Xmas present and most days they get home before me. If the box clearly indicates its Apple or iPad, I may have it diverted to the UPS store nearby.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, you can't tell from the outside that it is an Apple product. They are used to shipping expensive stuff and make a point not to expose the contents of the box. You can have it shipped to your work location, too.

OP
R

richmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you can't tell from the outside that it is an Apple product. They are used to shipping expensive stuff and make a point not to expose the contents of the box. You can have it shipped to your work location, too.

Thanks. I'll just put up the "leave it on the porch" notice that day. If I shipped it to work, I'd never see it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last time I checked, Apple ships with a signature required, um, requirement. I don't know if a note on the door will work.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, Apple ships with a signature required, um, requirement. I don't know if a note on the door will work.
yes,now i think of it thats true,i had to sign for my last two phones.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It works if you go to the apple website, get the form, agree, fill it out, and leave it on your door. You have to agree not to hold apple responsible if it goes missing. So the form serves two purposes.....

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Fed ex will leave a tag on your door and there is a place to sign it if you won't be there. They will leave the box there since signing it exonerates them from any responsibility. Did I just say exonerates? Wow, big word for me :)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fed ex will leave a tag on your door and there is a place to sign it if you won't be there. They will leave the box there since signing it exonerates them from any responsibility. Did I just say exonerates? Wow, big word for me :)

I don't care where you live or how safe you think your neighborhood is, you should not let FedEx leave a package at your door sitting there unattended waiting for you to come home. And it has been on the news that people have been taking packages from homes left outside by FedEx, UPS or whatever from the so-called "safe" neighborhoods. The shipping companies are not liable as you've signed off allowing them to leave the package and you are out money.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't care where you live or how safe you think your neighborhood is, you should not let FedEx leave a package at your door sitting there unattended waiting for you to come home. And it has been on the news that people have been taking packages from homes left outside by FedEx, UPS or whatever from the so-called "safe" neighborhoods. The shipping companies are not liable as you've signed off allowing them to leave the package and you are out ....

I had about 10,000$ worth of stuff left at my door in 2011, but your point is well taken, especially at this time of year.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holiday Boxes on Stoops Bring Reports of Thefts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/us/thefts-a-concern-as-holiday-deliveries-increase.html?_r=0

Excerpt:

As the peak of the holiday gift-buying season approaches and more people are ordering online, here is the downside: Grinch-like bandits are swiping the deliveries from doorsteps when families are not home. Some thieves follow U.P.S. and FedEx trucks along their routes and nab the gifts, while others simply drive through residential neighborhoods looking for packages.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Holiday Boxes on Stoops Bring Reports of Thefts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/us/thefts-a-concern-as-holiday-deliveries-increase.html?_r=0

Excerpt:

As the peak of the holiday gift-buying season approaches and more people are ordering online, here is the downside: Grinch-like bandits are swiping the deliveries from doorsteps when families are not home. Some thieves follow U.P.S. and FedEx trucks along their routes and nab the gifts, while others simply drive through residential neighborhoods looking for packages.

I would DIE.... If this were to ever happen to me!!!

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would DIE.... If this were to ever happen to me!!!

There are options, depending on which retailers or delivery services are involved. Amazon has begun to offer a locker service in some parts of the country -- packages delivered to say a 7-Eleven or drugstore, where they have lockers so that you can have packages secured till you can pick up. FedEx offers holds at its locations for some deliveries, so you can order something and have it delivered to a FedEx store (some open 24 hours). Those are possibilities, and diff carriers have more options, like scheduling delivery or pickup. You also can have stuff delivered to work, if your workplace allows it.

I don't release liability on deliveries, because I don't want to take responsibility for stolen items.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
There are options, depending on which retailers or delivery services are involved. Amazon has begun to offer a locker service in some parts of the country -- packages delivered to say a 7-Eleven or drugstore, where they have lockers so that you can have packages secured till you can pick up. FedEx offers holds at its locations for some deliveries, so you can order something and have it delivered to a FedEx store (some open 24 hours). Those are possibilities, and diff carriers have more options, like scheduling delivery or pickup. You also can have stuff delivered to work, if your workplace allows it.

I don't release liability on deliveries, because I don't want to take responsibility for stolen items.

My ups guy delivers really late or I just try to be home for the delivery. Would never allow delivery w o signature especially for Apple stuff.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ups guy delivers really late or I just try to be home for the delivery. Would never allow delivery w o signature especially for Apple stuff.

I buy lots of stuff online and have it delivered, and have yet to have anything stolen or lost. But I don't release for delivery. I just hope I'll be home on one of the delivery attempts. The delivery people usually leave the packages when I'm gone, but I figure that's their liability, not mine.

I recently ordered two iPad 4s. One arrived via FedEx on a second attempt, and UPS left the other iPad on a third attempt, even though I hadn't signed a release. The USP box arrived crushed (with even the iPad box smashed), so it went ack to Apple. FedEx screwed up its delivery, too, because I twice requested a hold at a FedEx store, and instead they kept delivering to my house.

Most reactions

Latest posts