What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple store employees

Oscar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice to see the UK folks are still "different" :) Living in Newmarket for three years gave me plenty to laugh at.

handyjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In terms of the employees baseline of knowledge there has been a serious shift in the stores philosophy since the iphone.

When I was first hired there most of the people on "the floor" were the hard core Apple nerds. You could come in and ask pretty much anything and there was SOMEone there who knew the answer.

Typically we were skipped over for management positions in favor of people with a lot of retail management experience (GAP, Target, etc) even though they often thought that the term floppy was some kind of sexual reference.

I haven't worked there for a few years (my last year was the year the 1st gen iphone was released) but I have a number of friends who still work there. They all tell me that the hiring philosophy has swung radically in the direction of retail experience. I suppose it allows them to pay a little less and do what they really need to do now which is throw bodies on the floor.

It's too bad. I mean it may be better for business but when there was just a dense core of geeks there it was a really fun place to work.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In terms of the employees baseline of knowledge there has been a serious shift in the stores philosophy since the iphone.

Well. Whatever the shift, and whatever the reason, my experience today was so bad that I was seriously considering using my influence to cancel an order for a fairly good sized government department.

Really, really pissed me off, I'm sorry to say.

The store was beautiful. Equipment very nicely laid out and everything dusted, cleaned and polished.

But the staff? Completely marginal, badly dressed, typical underachievers, devoid of manners and education...although I have to hand it to them that they weren't all children and there appeared to be a cross section of (lower middle class, white male) America in there.

But even the most senior of them couldn't handle my problem even after saying he probably could, and this after making it clear that it was a 90 minute drive for me...one way.

Very disappointing.

I've calmed down now. Enough time has passed that I'm not going to do anything untoward, but it's really and truly infuriating to see such underachieving nincompoops have any kind of say in my life.

:)

So there.

Most reactions