Apple Statement Addresses Talk of new iPad Running Hot

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    [​IMG]

AppleInsider reports today on new rumours that its newest iPad has been running hotter than the iPad 2. This came about after an infrared test by Dutch site Tweakers.net found the new iPad to be running 10 degrees hotter than the iPad 2, with the new iPad measured at 92.5 degrees Fahrenheit, and the iPad 2 measured at 83 degrees Fahrenheit. Despite the apparent increase, AppleInsider reports that the new iPad is still running at well within Apple’s optimum operating temperature of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Not everyone has had an issue with the iPad running hotter, and those who have posted about the matter on Apple’s support forums have simply said that it feels warmer to the touch; there have not been any significant claims of the new iPad overheating. Even so, Apple has acted swiftly to address the issue, with Apple spokeswoman Trudy Miller today issuing the following statement to The Loop:

Source: Apple says new iPad operates 'well within our thermal specifications'

New iPad Runs About 10 Degrees (F) Hotter than iPad 2 [Updated] - Mac Rumors
  2. tazz3

tazz3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    92.5 degrees is pretty hot for something that dont have a fan in it. i hope this cut the life short of the new ipad.
    and i hope they put bigger heat sinks in it
  3. jay3903

jay3903 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been using my iPad for about four hours and it is cool to the touch.
  4. davedrizen

davedrizen iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If the upper limit is 95, 92.5 is very near the top end, surly when designing a product you aim for tempeture near the middile in this case 60
  5. 5er driver

5er driver iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Maybe they designed it in an air conditioned lab. :) Seriously though, they should have had concerns during field tests in hot climates of the production units before deciding to launch. Heat kills lithium batteries.
  6. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I think the only true test is when you're running an app that is CPU intensive like hi DEF game or something like that maybe if you have a flying game you could give that a try. But under normal use I think all the iPads be running at normal temperatures. Time will tell maybe a class action lawsuit and $880 return to every iPad user is in order. "Lawyers need $80 for to process the paperwork"
  7. jessica1717

jessica1717 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed!:D